What is Publishing?
Book Publishing in its most basic form means the bringing out printed works, to the general public. This is generally through various media such as books, journals, newspapers, etc. The publisher is someone who is in charge of a publishing house. The scope of Publishing has become wider with the rise of the internet and digital systems. Publishing now includes electronic versions of books and journals and websites, blogs as well.
Importance of Publishing in the World of Books
But why does anyone want to write and publish a book in the first place? What gets people to put their ideas, thoughts or experiences into a proper form?
- Self-Satisfaction: The first reason why someone wants to bring a book out is self-satisfaction. When so much of effort has gone into writing and preparing, apparently an author wants it to take a print form. Seeing an idea taking form gives a sense of satisfaction and achievement.
- Recognition: Book publishing offers popularity as well. People identify you as an author and respect you. Your book gets up the bookstore shelves or online websites like Amazon, eBay; Flipkart, etc. lists it too. You find your name in the newspaper and get invitations to speak on various occasions. Therefore, You have arrived!
- Beneficial for Others: Your readers and fans benefit from your thoughts and experiences. In turn, your book has a positive effect on many of them. You can inspire, motivate and entertain people through your work. You are adding value to their lives. Your book makes a difference to someone.
- Making Some Revenue: Obviously, when you write you expect to make some money from it. You have customer orders an effort to write and publish your book. Thus, readers worldwide are enjoying and learning from it. Therefore, You have every right to look forward to some revenue from it.
Popular Publishing Techniques
For a writer wanting to become an author, publishing his/her book is important. However, more important is to know how to get it published which means getting the contents from the computer screen to print or online.
Today, there are many ways and chances to write and get publish a book. You can either choose the traditional method of book publishing with an agent editor and a publisher, or you can go for self-publishing. Thus, This choice is yours, and you are free to choose which type of book you think will work well for you.
In the traditional method of book publishing, the publisher and the author enter into an agreement. The publisher then prints and publishes the book. The publisher takes up the sale of the book with help from booksellers and other retailers. Also, to publish a book in the traditional way, authors need agents.
An author has several different options if he/she goes for self-publishing which includes print-on-demand (POD), vanity and subsidy publishing.
- POD publishers accept almost all the manuscripts the writers send to them. They are ready to publish all work provided they are paid for it.
- These publishers use special printing means, which allow for printing of one book at a time and a very low price. Since the option of printing individual books is available, books are therefore printed as per the demand by readers.
- Even though the book has been written, edited and designed, printing is not done until customer orders a book from the publisher.
There are advantages to this type of book publishing. POD helps in cutting down cost and also removes the need for extra space for storing unsold books. But in this model of publishing, Book Publishing house charges separately for editing, proof-reading and marketing the book. The authors make money off royalties from sales.
A vanity publisher is also known as a book manufacturer. The publishers, in this type of book publishing, publish any book for the author is ready to pay. They do not offer editing, marketing or promotional services. The author pays for the printing and the binding of the book. The Author owns all the print books, and he/her keeps all profit from the sales.
Though a subsidy publisher and a vanity publisher have a lot in common, they differ in some areas also. In both types of publication, the author pays for the printing and the binding. While vanity publishers do not incur any other cost, a subsidy publisher contributes a share of the cost. He incurs cost during editing, warehousing, distributing and marketing. Naturally, the publisher owns the books till he sells them. However, authors receive all the royalties from the sale of books.
Also, popular as e-publishing or digital publishing, electronic publishing is the digital publication of e-books and digital magazines. It also involves the growth of digital libraries and materials. Electronic publishing is the new form of book publishing where authors can print their contents or literature on physical pages, and additionally get them to a digital format.
Points to Know About Traditional Book Publishing
- Determine your category
- Assess the how much the book would sell
- Research the appropriate agent / publisher for your book
- Read the submission rules of agents / publishers
- Submit your manuscript / materials to an agent or a publisher
Getting a Book Published
Every author needs to know the behind-the-scene process that goes into book publishing. Better knowledge about the process and the marketplace, more are the chances of the book becoming popular. The publishing of any content has to go through various stages of development which include preparing the manuscript, owning and publication in the first part. The second step involves production, printing, marketing, and distribution.
Preparing the Manuscript
For those who are writing novels, finish your manuscript, revise the story and ensure that it is the best story before you present it to an agent. Non-fiction writers need to write a book proposal instead of a manuscript. This should be good enough to make a book publishing house to pay you to write that book.
Major houses rely on agents to bring them publishing possibilities. Once the editor reads and approves a manuscript, he will put forward a proposal to acquire the book. But, publishers have also to get it passed by their acquisition committee member which includes editors, publishers and marketing persons who check the worth of the book and whether the company will profit out of it. Once the manuscript satisfies the committee, a final agreement is prepared by for the Author.
The editors go through the manuscript and may suggest minor rewrites or else better the given manuscript.
The title is given a date for publication, and a release month is set. Now the work begins in full swing. The period from the selecting the book to the day it gets to the bookstores may vary between a year and two. Authors shall have to meet deadlines for rewrites, reviews, and revisions to keep in tune with the set timing, which Publisher’s created more sales for the book.
The production develops and designs the book which includes the cover as well as the internal contents of the book. The department also takes care of the printing and the binding of the final output.
Marketing and Sales
Marketing involves advertising, promotion, and publicity. Advertising includes the paid placement of the book either in print or any other media. Promotion is anything which will draw attention to the book such as shelf displays in bookstores, T-shirt gifts, and other such attractions. Generating a wide interest is a way of ensuring that the book generates the maximum sale. Salespeople get these orders from book outlets and bookstores.
Printing and Binding
After the editing and the designing are over, the process of printing begins with the production of the pre-press proof, which the publisher approves.Once he passes, the physical production of the book begins and ends with the process of binding of the books.
The Publisher gives a copyright to the final output. Also, he gets a new ISBN barcode for each of the books. Then, the publisher decides the cover price and the number of copies for a first print run and arranges for sending the books to distributors and wholesale sellers.
Various Types of Publishing
With the arrival of the digital age, the publishing industry has many types of publishing which were not present earlier. There are major publishing houses which publish books that famous and favourite authors come out with. Though they may not be for a particular group, some have different departments dealing with the various groups such as romance, fantasy, non-fiction, poetry and much more. A publishing deal with such companies gets a bigger print run with a presence in the main bookstores.
Then there are also small publishing companies that publish specific books. These companies are known as ‘boutique publishing houses‘ for art, recipes and children books. As demand for specific books keeps growing, and writers know that there are more chances of their publishing their books within small publishing houses.
The mega-publishing houses or groups, deal with the publishing of different magazines and newspapers and academic journals.
There are also publishing companies which deal in textbooks, graphic novels or comics. Then, there are publishing houses that specialise only in self-publishing – e-books and print.
The publishing world is very vast and contains every possible type of publishing – newspapers, directory, trade, academics, educational, religious, children’s books, journal books, dictionary books and legal books to mention some.
The Sub-Divisions of the Publishing Industry
- Newspaper Publishing: These are the works which are on Publisher’s timetable and regularly publish recent news on a single paper known as newsprint.
- Periodical Publishing: These are the publications which appear in a regular period but a new edition. It includes magazines and academic journals.
- Book Publishing: Major publishing houses and small book publishers are always side-by-side. Also, some authors are now self-publishing their books.
- Directory Publishing: This is a particular type of publishing which deals in mailing lists, telephone directories and many other types of directories.
- Academic Publishing: These publishers publish books or journals which are for academic subjects.
Publishing and Future Trends
The publishing industry earlier was only of printed works such as books, magazines, journals, and newspapers. Today, digital information has brought a new style of publishing. Today, publishing covers blogs, websites, e-books and other electronic formats.
The publishing industry has different people, working in the many stages that a publication has to go through. Writers and editors develop and prepare the document. Artists and designers work on the text and the images to improve content both on paper and onscreen. Also, press workers who produce the physical documents while the digital designers prepare the electronic publications. And finally, the sales and the marketing people distribute the end-product.
In recent times, changing technology and e-book readers have made these publications more easily and also cost saving as many e-books can be found online free of cost. This leads to the higher sale of e-books especially student textbooks and study materials. E-books are bringing people back to reading because there are millions of e-books anywhere and anytime. Also, there is a higher interest in recent times in self-help books.
Conclusion And Comments:
Internet sales are affecting the growth of the book industry, due to increasing in efforts at self-publishing and on-demand printing. People have another way of ordering books – on the internet. Therefore, online shops are seeing a higher growth in their sale of books. However, this is having a negative effect on the normal publishers. Many authors today are also choosing self-publishing which means that the author is in control of all the stages. These stages are in the publication and distribution of his/her book. With on-demand printing, high-quality books can be printed but in a cost-saving way since books are printed as per needs.
Whether you want to go for book publishing in the normal way or digitally, one thing is for sure – as long as individuals continue to read, the publishing industry will continue to grow. Print2eforms helps writers publish their books and guides them through the best options within the market.