Good or poor formatting will certainly make a lot of difference when it comes to a writer’s work. Good formatting can make a book gain high marketability among readers; poor formatting, on the other hand, gives readers a hard time interacting with a book.
One of the best ways to get the best formatting is assigning publishing services providers the role of coming up with a proper format for a given content; this is because different books may require different formatting techniques. At print2eforms, we make it our duty to give different writers the best formats as per their books.
The paragraphs below will give you a few tips on how to format a novel’s manuscript in the most acceptable standards possible.
Work with your publisher from the beginning and find out what is best recommended
If you are dealing with a publisher for the first time, it is important that you consult on the set standards they user for formatting novels. This will help you as a writer have a blueprint of what is expected of your novel before submission for publishing.
Once you have the basic required standards by your publishers, it is advisable that you start formatting your manuscript at the early stages of your writing. This comes with a number of advantages such as;
- An easy time when reviewing and editing the written content.
- No extra efforts required while writing the manuscript once the word processor is set up.
- Easy sharing of work with other writers for critiques and corrections.
What guidelines apply to the entire novel’s manuscript?
- The font color should be black.
- 1 to 1.5-inch margins for the entire manuscript.
- 12 point Times New Roman or Courier New font.
What are the requirements while formatting the title page?
- Contact information: Should be single-spaced and placed in the top left corner of the page. The name, address, phone number, email address, etc. should be placed in this section.
- Title: This is to be centered (from the top margin) 1/3-1/2 way down the page.
- Author: This is to be centered and placed one double-spaced line below the title.
- Word count: Once the manuscript is finished, the word count is checked after which it is placed below the author’s name on one doubled-spaced line. It should be rounded to the nearest thousands, for example, 11000.
What are the standard requirements for formatting the content pages?
- The page headers: The writer’s name, novel’s title, and page number is always to be displayed on the top right side of every page.
- The page numbers: These are named continuously. Page one comes immediately after the title page.
- Paragraphs: The first line of every paragraph is indented by about a half an inch.
- Line spacing: Each line is doubled spaced.
- Scene breaks: Whenever there is a scene break, a new line is inserted with a sing hash mark # or three asterisks *** in the center.
- Dialogue: A new paragraph should be started whenever speakers are changed.
- The separation between sentences: One space is to be used when separating the sentences in a paragraph.
- Italics: Italics can be used to put the emphasis where the context demands so.
- The end: The word END should be centered at the end of the novel’s story.
Are you in search of prepress services?
If yes, you have finally met one of the leading prepress servicing companies in the world. Our employees have different pools of skills that you can exploit at affordable costs among them being prepress services such as novel formatting. Kindly contact us and requests our free samples. At print2eforms, we value your content.