Next Step To Take After Preparing An eBook:
You have done the hard part of making the eBook. For many self-publishers, this is a half game won. However, you cannot just expect that your eBook will pick itself up in the market. Let’s take a case here for eBook promotion. You as a writer have researched and prepared your biggest work till date. Also, you opted to upload your work to the largest online eBook store, Amazon Kindle. After doing all this, you cannot just expect that Amazon will list your title all over the place and the readers will pick it up. Amazon Kindle store will only start projecting your title make some sales. Of course, that’s the basic motive for most of the titles. Therefore, to be recognised and appreciated by as many readers as possible. Hence, you need to put your foot forward and promote it.
How To Use Native Amazon Publishing Tools To Boost Sales:
You don’t have to panic if you don’t get your sales initially. After all, every book needs some time to grow. However, Amazon as part of its publishing package offers some helpful tools. You can use them to good effect to increase your sales. Hence, you need to check the tool called KDP Select program. You can enrol your eBook promotion in this program to make higher sales on Amazon platform. The steps involved in this are:
- Visit your Amazon Kindle Publishing page and from there your dashboard.
- In the Edit/Change/Modify scroll down till you come across an option saying ‘Enroll In KDP Select‘
- You need to check it and put your book for KDP select.
- Alternatively, you can choose it while uploading the manuscript for the book.
The Advantages And Limitations Of Using Amazon KDP Select:
The main advantage you have while enrolling for KDP select is that Amazon pushes it through. Amazon recognises the book much quickly and propels the book to appear in its top lists. Also, you can choose from Amazon options such as flash sales and deep discount sales. Thereby, you can put your book out for sale at a zero rate. So, you are selling your book for free. Therefore, readers who want free eBooks instantly pick it up irrespective of genres and themes. You can reach out to millions of people by doing this. Also, you can get some reviews going for it, which make the book worthy. In addition to this, you can sell your book at a deep discount for a limited time.However, the main disadvantage of choosing KDP Select is exclusivity. You cannot sell the book anywhere else as long as you are in KDP select.
Other Tricks To Increase Your eBook Sales On Amazon:
You might look at these simple basic methods to further increase your sales. Amazon KDP is always a good starting point. However, you can only use some options in KDP for a limited period. Therefore, after that, the sales dip down. Hence, the following simple things will ensure that your book is up and running with or without KDP:
- Offer Your Book At Reduced Price Basis: Although, KDP Select gives you deep discounts, with consistent price cuts you can involve the better audience. Therefore, you need to change the price basing on the demand and sales. However, this affects the royalty. Hence, you need to be careful about your price shuffle.
- Getting To The Top Charts: You can categorise the book in such a manner that it appears on high in that category. Hence, a type of Political and sub-genre of Horror will make your book unique. This works with most titles, but you cannot get too ambitious with this.
- Using Your Previous Books To Promote This: One nifty little trick of boosting sales is asking your friends. You can ask your friends who had brought your previous books to buy this one too. Therefore, you can provide them with the book at a lower price and let them buy before upping it again. Once that happens, Amazon recommends new buyers that these customers also bought the other book, etc. Hence, it practically back-links the sales and products.
- Reviews For The Book: You can never underestimate the power of good reviews for a book. After all, we all are curious as to what others have to say about a product. We form our opinion on what the reviews are. Hence, you could ask some of your friends to buy and review it. Also, you can provide the book for free to them.
Making Your Book Successful On Other Websites:
You cannot always depend on Amazon Kindle to make your book sales. When you are in Kindle store, you can sell your book at Apple stores, or Google PlayBooks, for Sony or Nook devices. Therefore, you lose out on many other outlets to make your book available. Hence, you could host your books on these mentioned portal sites, but the following few pointers have to be taken care:
- Prepare The Manuscript: You need to write and typeset the manuscript in a perfect format. For this, you can approach an expert online publishing company and have them prepare your work. Therefore, you have to come up with a great end product before hosting it anywhere.
- Create A Great Design Or Get It Done: A book cover is all that a customer looks it before anything else. Hence, you have to ensure that the cover conveys the essence of the text matters. Therefore, you need to employ professional illustrators and cover designers to work on the book. They will make sure that the book gives out the best visual appeal.
- Make The Book Available In Multiple Formats: You need to provide the manuscript in different formats to different websites. Hence, you need to change the book file from Doc, HTML into PDF, ePub or Mobi formats. Hence, This is where you turn to online publishers for all your conversion needs.
- Approach Book Stores And Review Platforms: Many eBook hosting portals give you free hosting. In India, Flipkart, Olx, and eBay remain the biggest players. However, you can link these to your review websites like Crossword, GoodReads, etc. Therefore, you need to make both the review and product available. This task is easy when you have a publisher by your side and taking care of hosting the book.
How To Get A Search Engine Optimised eBook Page?
You can only go so far as to put up the book for sale everywhere. However, the new users still need to search it or find it in their search results. Then, there is a high chance that they will visit the page and buy the book. Since you are publishing the book online, it is logical to have a web page about that. You can enter information, sale details, links, excerpts, etc. from the book in this web page and create curiosity amongst people. You can still host the book in various websites, like Amazon or eBay, but you could promote it through the web page. Also, you could use this web page to provide competitions and offers to old and existing customers further. At this point, you may turn to professional publishing company services to create an interesting web page for you.
The Power Of Social Media In Promoting eBooks:
It is an undeniable fact that the social media culture defines today online market. Every post and tweet, every image and video, is seen by millions across the globe through social media. In addition to that, all of them invariably have something to say about it. This gives you a fair idea as to how you can promote your book. You can practically sell any product online with the help of proper marketing in social media. Let’s look at how you can do that:
FaceBook eBook Promotion:
Facebook advertising is the single most powerful marketing and promotional tool that is available to authors. Therefore, to fully utilise the potential of Facebook, you need to create a product page for the eBook promotion. This is a relatively simple process. All you need to do is log-in to your Facebook account, and under profile click on Create Page. Thereby, Pages manager will take you through preparing your page. Also, you need to include the cover art on the page which is similar to the eBooks cover. Once that is done, you can run an advertisement campaign for the page or the product. Therefore, people coming to your page will automatically see what the eBook is about. In addition to this, you can use Images, Quotes, and Little Visual dialogues to let your readers know more about the eBook. Thus, you push up the sales.
Twitter eBook Promotion:
You can use Twitter for your eBook promotion as well. All you need to do is create a Twitter profile by the name of the book or author. After that, you can schedule your tweets about the eBook ( with link ) automatically. To do that you need HootSuite or BufferApp tools online. Also, these tools are free for use, and you can use them for different platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. However, you need to use appropriate hashtags consistently to give a flow of your tweets about the eBook promotion. Also, you may ask your followers or friends to re-tweet it so that it shows to a wider circle of people. Also, participating in replies and chats with your audience makes for an excellent eBook promotion tactic.
GoodReads eBook Promotion:
Apart from the usual Facebook and Twitter promotions, another way up is GoodReads. You need to understand that GoodReads is a platform specifically designed for eBook promotion. Therefore, GoodReads is a website where books (physical or digital) are listed, reviewed and recommended. Also, You can search for books based on titles, author name, etc. Therefore, you need to provide your eBook at GoodReads for listing. However, you can still promote your work on this website by paid advertising. In addition to this, you can give away your book for free. This will make the reviewers aware of your book and push them to review it sooner or later. Also, you can connect your Facebook and Amazon page to GoodReads profile. Thereby, reviews are in sooner or later.
Google Plus And LinkedIn Promotion:
Not many people know this, but Google Plus results are more likely to appear in Google search results. You can use Google Plus platform to promote your work not only with your friends but also all those interested. Google Plus works on establishing mutual interest groups and communities. Hence, you can join groups of writers and publishers in it without knowing them. Also, you could introduce your eBook to them using suggested circles. This is a similar position on LinkedIn as well. You can ask your connections to spread the word about your eBook in their groups and friends.
Participation Approach In Promoting eBooks
Although you’ve made your presence felt on the website, you still need to act on them. You have to visit, record and review the book’s exposure on all the sites above. Also, once you interact with the buyers of the book, it helps to promote. They are more likely to spread the word about the book by mouth. The measures that you can try to make sure that the book is being picked up are:
1. Let The People Know:
You can start off by promoting the book in a way that the readers don’t forget about. The eBook promotion posts need to be started long before the book is released. Some quotes, snippets, images etc need to flow into your social media. You also need to take care of each milestone of your book’s journey by posting on such days. Therefore, you need to keep them informed about the book at every stage and keep them curious. Also, they need to see how people are talking about the book. Thereby, they get inclined actually to buy the book. Hence, you need always to keep them in the loop.
2. Contribute To Discussions On Forums:
You can utilise web-forums such as Quora or Reddit to push your work through. Firstly, you need to create a profile for yourself on these platforms. Thereby, you need to follow threads which talk about similar books and see how they promote content. Once you have analysed that, you can prepare your discussion thread to promote your book. However, you need to be careful not to promote products directly here. Also, you need to just simply the topic of the book and activate the thread. As it was, these forums are particular about their content. However, these can be used to connect to and extend your contact base. Thereby, you may approach them personally to try out the book.
3. Using Visual Content To Create Promotions:
With the latest in online video tools, you can easily create small movies and slides for your book. This is of particular importance because studies say that people on social media websites spend 69 percent of their time watching videos. More so, YouTube can get a lot of attention for a product. Hence, you may want to create short trailers or intro videos to be uploaded on YouTube. Therefore, once you have created engaging content, you can share it on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram too. However, try not to be too spectacular, and try to stick to the theme and ethos of the eBook you plan to release. Also, you could host the videos on different sites such as blip.tv, jumpcut, our media, Vimeo, Daily media, etc.
4. Using The Good Old Email Client To Market Your Book:
In today’s world, many have forgotten the power of a simple personalised email sent by someone. You felt relevant and connected to a person who personally sends you an email. Therefore, you need to do eBook promotion through your contacts with mail. Firstly, you have to build up a personalised list with names which can be interested in the book. In addition to that, you need to check if these people are active online socially either through Facebook or Twitter. Once you have made your list, you need to mail them about your book. However, you need to take care that you tell them what the book is about. Hence, you can probably send out the first chapter of the book as a sample or write a personalised excerpt for the book. Also, take care to addressing them making them interested in the mail in the first place.
Concluding And Finalising The Promotion Of eBooks:
From the above factors, we can see that promotion is of utmost importance. You need to take up a stand. Also, in the case of self-publishing, it is more so important. However, in this scenario, a professional online eBook publishing company can help you. They process your manuscript and suggest the best way promote it. Also, a real publisher has many tie ups with renowned publication forums. Hence, the publisher can provide the best exposure to your book in the market. In addition to that, the royalty issues with services like Amazon Kindle publishing can be taken care of. With an eBook publishing company handling your promotions, enhancements and sale reviews, you just need to focus on bringing out the best work possible.