Adobe Reader XI allows different computer systems to view computer files and see the same thing as far as the formatting, pictures, graphics and fonts go. The software product from Adobe Systems uses the PDF file format which is a very popular format among users. The Adobe Reader versions keep changing and improving, and you would have to know what version you currently have installed or the latest version before you can start with your launch. Using a few and simple steps, you can start your Adobe Reader XI effectively as long as you have administrator rights for the installations.
Adobe Reader version 11.0 or later
- Open Adobe Reader
- Use the ‘Help’ menu to select ‘Check for Updates’ to check the latest updates. You can close if there are no updates available and then close Adobe Reader.
- In case you get any updates, then you would have to use the ‘Download’ button to start downloading the files. You have to wait until you receive a message that the update is ready for installation. The message will pop on the lower right corner of your screen.
- Close Adobe Reader before you install the update.
- After you close, you can click on the red Adobe icon on the lower right corner and then click Install to start the installation.
- Once the update has completed installing, you can close and restart your machine if need be. When you re-open after restarting, you might need to repeat some of the steps to complete all updates that are available.
- After all, updates are over, go to ‘configure Adobe Reader’ section.
Adobe Reader versions previous to version 10
If you have a version previous to 10, then you would need to first remove the old version before downloading and installing the new version.
Note: If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat Professional, then there is no need to uninstall or install a new version. The current shipping for the Adobe’s full version is Adobe® Acrobat® XI Pro.
How to Remove Adobe Reader old versions
- Close all programs that are running and then click start and select ‘Control Panel.’
- Double click on the ‘Uninstall or change a program’ section of the control panel.
- Select the highest version listed here and then click on ‘Remove.’ You will then get on-screen instructions to follow to remove the program.
- Repeat the same process to remove any other Adobe Reader listings that you still have.
- After removing all listings related to Adobe Reader, you can close the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel.
How to install Adobe Reader XI
Now with the old versions gone, you are ready for the new version of Adobe Reader. The following simple steps will take you through the process; you do not need any professional help to install the reader.
- Close all applications and open your web browser, then go to adobe.com/downloads. Click on the ‘Get Adobe Reader’ button.
- Uncheck extra toolbars that are offered at this point such as Google Chrome and Google toolbar, then click ‘Download Now’ and follow the on-screen steps to start the installation.
- Adobe Download Manager will download and then install the application, and you might be asked to restart. Click on ‘yes’ to restart.
- In case the manager process does not install Adobe Reader XI, then you can use Adobe Reader for Windows. It is a download site from Adobe, and you can click on the download link for Adobe Reader MUI 11.0 – Multiple languages and proceed with the download. The process is straightforward and self-explanatory, and you can then follow prompts so that you can install the reader.
- After restarting, you might need to repeat a few steps until you have not more updates available.
How to configure Adobe Reader XI
Here are the steps you can follow to set your Reader:
- After the restart, open your Adobe Reader XI program and ‘Accept’ the License Agreement.
- Use the ‘Help’ menu to check for updates. You can close the menu in case there are no updates and continue to the next step. In case you find updates, apply the updates found before proceeding.
- Choose ‘Preferences’ from your ‘Edit’ menu. In the categories list, you can select page display in the rendering section. Choose the ‘Smooth Text’ option that you find suitable. For instance, you can select ‘For Laptops/LCD screens’ in case what you are using is a desktop LCD or laptop.
- On the categories list, select ‘Identity’ and enter your name and email address. You can fill much more here as you desire.
- Choose ‘Internet’ from the categories list and select LAN from the drop down list of connection speed.
- Next, select Multimedia Trust still in the categories list. Here, there is need to verify that the multimedia player settings are not on ‘Prompt.’ If necessary, you can highlight permission for a built-in player to be on the Always choice. You have the right to weigh your options at this point so that you can set the players as you desire or find most suitable. You can do this with all the remaining multimedia choices.
- The next step is to select the ‘Trust Manager’ under the categories list. Uncheck the ‘Allow opening of nonPDF file attachments with external applications’ box.
- Finally, you can click the ‘OK’ button to close the preferences section. Your Adobe Reader is now installed, configured and ready to be used!
For further information on converting your PDF files into reader compatible formats such as ePub, Mobi, CBR, etc., do visit our link.