You can open ePUB files on a laptop or a PC by using Readium. Once a print book has been converted into the eBook format, you are given the files so as to do a review. This is a chance where you can see the book in its eBook format. You can also check for any changes that you may want to be made so as to give it that final change if needed.
Tablets and eReaders
If you possess an eReader or tablet device like an iPad, it is an excellent way to view your files. There are ways you can download it onto the iPad. If the files cannot be seen using the eReaders and tablets, then you may opt to view the files on your computer or your laptop even though this may require you to install additional software which has to be downloaded.
Opening a standard ePUB file on your Mac or PC
So as to open a standard ePUB files but not the fixed layout, you can install the Readium app that is for Google Chrome or Adobe digital editions.
Mac owners: For persons who have a Mac desktop or laptop which is relatively new, it may have the Apple iBooks app installed. This is an app that allows you to open ePUB files automatically in the fixed and standard layout. It can be easily downloaded. This means that you will not require any software to add on to it so as to view such files.
Viewing the Files on Computers Using the Readium Add-On
This is an add-on that can be installed from the web browser Google Chrome. Before you start using the add-on, you need to make sure that Google Chrome is installed. The installation can be completed by following very simple steps.
The best thing about Readium is the fact that it can be utilized for viewing fixed and standard layouts of the ePUB files. However, Readium doesn’t open any Mobi file. So as to be able to use this add-on, it has to be added to Google Chrome, and some steps have to be followed so as to achieve this. The instructions below are for Windows 7, but they can apply to many of the systems.
Step 1: Readium Download and Installation
- For this, you need to go to Google Chrome and choose the app’s icon in the left corner in the address bar.
- Choose the store icon.
- Search for Readium among the search results. You need to click on the +FREE button and then on ADD so as to make a confirmation of the new app.
- When you do this, you will see a new tab, and this will have a Readium logo. This is where you click so as to open Readium.
- When it opens, you can add a new file to the Library. At this juncture, the installation is over, and when you need to open it, you have to go to Google Chrome and click on the app’s icon and then the Readium icon.
Step 2: Saving the ePUB file to the computer
You now need to download the ePUB file to the computer. This file will have a .ePUB extension which will come after the file name. It will be received as an attachment. When the file is too large to email, it can be sent via the dropbox link. Ensure that the ePUB file gets downloaded to the computer by using the documents or desktop folders.
Step 3: Open ePUB using Readium
- If you haven’t opened Readium yet, follow the steps above to start.
- Within the add-on, click the “+” button which is at the top of the screen. A pop box will appear. The File button needs to be clicked. It is next to the local form file. This is where you need to locate and label the ePUB file that you saved in step 2 and then click so as to open it.
- You will then see a message informing you that the file is being imported and in most cases, a few moments may be needed, but this depends on the size of the archive in question. When done, the book appears in the library, and you will be able to open it just by a simple click.
- The table of contents can either be hidden or shown by using the icon on the screen and then you can navigate the pages by using the arrows at the screen sides or using the keyboard arrows.
Creating the ePUB file
You may have a book that is in Word format, and you want to have the material within translated to an ePUB format but you don’t want to use a long process. You may also not be a programmer or a coder, but you are in a position to figure out simple HTML. There are options here that didn’t involve the software purchase or learning of any codes. This is a method that can work if the book has a few images and lots of texts.
For The Mac Users, You Can Use Text Edit To the Sigil Method
Sigil is free and is an open source editor for ePUB files. It is very intuitive and can even be utilized by a beginner, especially those who know a thing or two about HTML. You need to start out with Word files, but you can also use HTML files or text. The Word files need to be prepared so as to import to Sigil but still retain the basic formatting. The process requires one to use the pre-installed Mac text edit software.
You then have to open the text edit preferences and adjust the HTML saving options.
After this, you can open a word document in the text edit and save as an HTML file. After this, the file that you have is very similar to the ePUB file that can be opened with Sigil.
If you need to, you should now download and install the Sigil software. Go to the “open file” and select open HTML file that you have prepared in text edit. That’s it! The ePUB file can now be modified and on an interface that you want and then saved. For more information on eBook conversion techniques, feel free to visit our link.