There are many aspects of self-publishing that can be very intimidating as well as confusing and most especially when one is doing them for the very first time. However, some steps can be followed so as to be able to publish a book successfully using CreateSpace.
If you have ever had a dream to have an eBook in print, then CreateSpace is an excellent print on demand service that is offered by Amazon. This is a service which allows the dream you have to materialise. You can use CreateSpace to convert your books to POD.
It is very easy to sign up with CreateSpace. You only have to go to their website and create an account where you receive a dashboard and an ID number. The dashboard is very easy to use, and it has all your information in it. By clicking on the “Add new title” button, you are taken to the page where you can start a new project.
When you get to this page, you need to fill the book name and then the kind of project followed by the setup method that you prefer.
With this, you have two choices:
- The guided process which is a step by step option that gives instructions as you progress. This is an ideal choice for anyone who can’t remember the steps by heart. The steps are also very easy to follow, and you will be up and running within no time.
- There is also the expert process which is a streamlined kind of single page experience for people who are well familiar with the entire process and can do it by heart.
You need to click on the choice you prefer and then the step that follows.
The Title Information Page
This is where you get to fill the title of your book as well as the subtitle if it is applicable, as well as the name of the author, the contributors, series number and name if applicable and all other details that you may feel are necessary.
If you have the date of publication, don’t leave it blank. In case you do not have it, then the date when the book will be published in CreateSpace will automatically be added. If the book had been published previously with a publisher, then you should use the original date of publication if you so wish.
After this step, click on the save button and then continue.
To publish and to distribute any given book, CreateSpace requires an ISBN number. In this case, you have four options one of which is free.
It is very important that you compare all the options very keenly. This is because once the choice has been made, there is no way you will be able to change it. Choose and then continue.
Here, you can choose from:
Colour or black and white
Paper colours such as cream or white
Size of the book
The size that is most popular as a trim size is the 6-inch x 9-inch trade paperback size. It is important to note that CreateSpace makes no offer for the standard paperback size.
Uploading your book
The fun part finally begins, and that is uploading the book. For this one, you can hire a professional who knows CreateSpace well and let them do it for you at a price of course or you can do it yourself.
The Do It Yourself Method
You can do this by uploading the work as .rtf, .docx, .doc, .pdf file which is print ready. You can also download the word template which is formatted or blank containing sample content that is designed for the kind of trim size that you prefer.
This is a very easy template to use as there are pairs of pages which represent both sides of a page that have been printed. There is also the midline within every pair which is a representation of the page, outside edges as well as the right and left borders, which are the page edges bound so as to form the spine. Since space is necessary on the bound edge, the text has to be offset much closer to the outer edges.
In the formatted template, a table of contents is usually included. If this is something that you do not want to be included in your book, then you can only delete those pages. It is also possible to remove acknowledgement and dedication pages as you feel right. You can also add some pages like the list of the books published as well as praise pages with a few short review excerpts. This material can be placed just before the page title just like the traditional publishers do.
- You can use section breaks in between elements of the front matter so as to have appropriate spacing. With this, you can be able to add any page numbers within the story body. If the page numbers are needed in the front matter, you can use roman numerals.
- You can also use alternating headers and place the title of the book at the right hand of the page as well as the author name on to the left.
- When it comes to the size of the font, the CreateSpace program doesn’t support all the fonts, and it is a great idea to work with the standard ones because failure to do so may lead to issues.
- For the body text, you can use varying sizes for the headings of the chapters as well as the front matter. You can also use italics and bold. You can check the font for different headers.
- After uploading the manuscript that has been formatted, it will go through CreateSpace automated print to be checked. You can view the book one page at a time using interior reviewer.
- Where formatting errors are caught, fix them and re-upload. Even though this may be time-consuming, it will ensure that the book is at its best.
This is the last part. Choose the finish that you want and submit. You can have this done professionally. Since these criteria above might get a bit too much to handle, it is important to employ a professional for such services.