An Introduction To CourseSmart eBooks:
With Digital age coming to its most distinct and fruitful phase, you have thousands of companies which are lapping it up. They are going forward with new technology and practices. Most of them, have brought out things we didn’t know up until that point. That’s where you see a greater need to sync your thoughts and usage criteria as per the new technology. Over the years, one of the starters of leading technology has been CourseSmart. You can safely state that CourseSmart reader is perhaps the first player to change the scenario of providing eTextbooks and course materials. With an impressive store database of over 40,000 textbooks, you can practically find any book you want in here quickly.
Using CourseSmart To Get Your Textbooks:
What makes CourseSmart great is that you can access their huge store of books and get what you want. Of course, you will get these books into your device in the form of eBooks. Additionally, you may also get reading materials from this portal too. The process involved in doing this is simple.
The following steps give you an idea as to how you can do it:
- The website offers these as eBooks that are available to rent from the website for 180 days. After purchasing a rental, you can view the book either on or offline.
- Go to coursesmart.com Type the name of a book in the search bar located on the homepage.
- When your book is found, click the button to see a free trial version of the book and test with VoiceOver. If you want to purchase the rental, click “Add to Cart.”
- Review your purchase and click “Proceed to Checkout.” New users will have first to create an account when taken to the login screen. Next, input your payment information, and you will have access to the book for 180 days.
- This allows your books to appear within the app, for further use and study. Note that, if you feel like going beyond 180 days for a book, you may do so by contacting CourseSmart homepage.
VitalSource And It’s Relevance:
As CourseSmart reader went viral with its affordable packages and a significant number of books, it became a prime property. In markets which were loading with eBooks, suddenly saw the VitalSource was a key player. Of course, investors were highly interested in getting the books rental portal on their board. VitalSource was one such company which bought out CourseSmart in the first quarter of 2014. But the business was not undergoing a change yet. The merger was done, but the firms in it took their time in getting the group to function. However, What is CourseSmart?
During the early days, you would fail to read VitalSource eTextbooks on CourseSmart eTextbooks. Also, the opposite was true as well. These were, after all, two different firms, in just the same business. However, this scene changed quickly over the period of November 2015. As it was, Vitalsource eTextbooks bought CourseSmart eTextbooks for a decent amount. From that point, if you were a user of CourseSmart, you could use Vitalsource to download your eTextbooks with a click. Slowly, VitalSource got all the books, preferences, and highlights to load them to CourseSmart. The only problem with this perhaps was to ensure the sync; you needed to have both the apps within your devices. Thus, you have to get two apps to work for one of them.
Features And Characters Of CourseSmart:
What is CourseSmart? In the early days, you looked to CourseSmart to just provide for renting books much like renting on Amazon. Of course, over time the makers behind this portal, gave it a facelift. They made CourseSmart into an all inclusive eTextbooks portal. You can now do much more than just get a book for rent within this website. The following are some of the features which you have to know about CourseSmart reader.
Services To Tutors and Teachers:
CourseSmart reader provides a variety of services to instructors including Instant Access feature. If you are someone who has received at least one eTextbook from CourseSmart’s publisher partners, you can apply for Instant Access feature and get CourseSmart instructor login. However, this feature may sometimes be just for a period. Instant Access gives you the freedom to go ahead and check out any book you want. You can easily get the Instant Access and CourseSmart instructor login within CourseSmart when you register online on their home website.
Online And Offline Modes:
The CourseSmart reader allows faculty and students to quickly switch between online and offline access with full synchronisation of notes and highlights. Apps for iPad, iPhone and Android ensure anywhere, anytime access to eTextbooks. The devices allow you to get the books and opt to save them with the ‘save’ button. The tool transfers these ebooks to your device’s internal or external storage drives. Due to this, you can always have your books with you, even when you are offline.
Another useful feature of this reader app is that you can continue reading a book even when another book is downloading. Basically what this means is that, if you select a book for an offline purpose, you can go to the main window. The app will get the book for you in the background, and store into your bookshelf. You don’t have to wait till it does it. You can read some other books in the meantime.
Preview And Peek Features:
If you are someone who is a regular to Amazon Kindle for your eBooks, you will know this feature. What this function does is, it allows you to go ahead and take a look at a few pages from the book. Once you have seen the book you want to rent or buy, you can click the preview button you see the book. Usually, this feature shows you a set of pages. You can see the index, preface and perhaps even the first few chapters. When you are satisfied with what you see, you can proceed and buy the book. You have the freedom to get an informed decision. You know what you are getting into.
This is precisely what CourseSmart is all about. If you are looking for a general book, say on a topic, you can go ahead and check out all the books. A mere glance at the index and you will know which book you need. Thus, you don’t end up taking a book you don’t want.
Ability To Search Within Genre And Category:
CourseSmart bookshelf is not just a store of books. It is a database too; wherein you get the exact book you want within a few clicks. Of course, while you are doing that you can specify the categories in which you want to search your books in. You can also search for the topic if you want. However, are you a bit confused as to which book you want? Well, CourseSmart bookshelf can help you with it. You just have to give it the topic you want for the book. Perhaps, even some keywords. And filter the books to get to your book.
In this process, you can always use preview tools to check out the books for their content. Mostly you will find that you can find multiple books referring to the same topic. This is where you need to go through previews for every one of the filters. You can be sure to find your book in the storage database is large for this app.
Integration With BlackBoard Version 9.1:
If you are a subject teacher or faculty for a field, you can use CourseSmart bookshelf for your teaching purposes. All you have to do is integrate this app with Blackboard education platform. With this in hand, easily you have one-click access to the largest eTextbooks and course materials for their teaching purpose. You can combine the two application, for efficient search, and streaming content to the students. You may also take up evaluation and discover features which make your teaching practice more efficient.
The key features you get from integrating these two applications are:
- More streamlined evaluation, of course, materials with complementary, single sign-on, access to the CourseSmart catalogue.
- More efficient and effective communication to students regarding course materials, via the “Assign Textbook” option in Blackboard Learn’s online course pages
- Provide new inputs for students over a subject which will go forward in establishing what you want.
Evaluating ETextBooks In CourseSmart:
As per the above discussion, you now know that you can use BlackBoard in sync with your CourseSmart app to get evaluating the eBooks. You can do so with the following steps easily:
- From your Blackboard Learn course, go to the Tools page and click on the CourseSmart logo. This will open the app for you, and you can see that it gets to scanning your online database and offline bookshelf too.
- You may also schedule the app automatically by giving it default permits within Android tablets. On your first visit, you will be asked to enter your email address. If you do not have a pre-existing CourseSmart account, you will be requested to complete this profile.
- After you submit your profile, you will see your personal CourseSmart Bookshelf. After your initial visit, you will be taken directly to your bookshelf. The bookshelf includes a top-level search that allows you to browse the entire CourseSmart catalogue by discipline to find all the appropriate titles for your course.
- On CourseSmart, you can search by the keyword, title, author, or ISBN. This way you can search quickly and efficiently if you do not have the name of the title with you.
- When you have found a title you would like to see, click on the “Add to My Bookshelf” green button. You will be taken to the “Get Instant Access” form to complete. Once you have clicked the “Add to My Bookshelf” you will find the title waiting for you there.
Providing Text-To-Speech Capability:
It’s always nice to have a device read out what you want it to. It saves lots of time, in getting information into your mind. Of course, it also saves time and energy. It’s plain convenient to hear to course material if you are busy or travelling. You can always switch back to the reading mode whenever you find it useful enough. CourseSmart reviews provide you with options of Text-to-Speech.
Below is how you use it for free in Apple systems:
- The Apple OSX VoiceOver system can be utilised with CourseSmart reviews to provide text-to-speech capabilities. Users with experience using VoiceOver on iOS devices can also use it on the iPad and iPhone.
- Using the VoiceOver system on OSX or iOS requires the Accessible Reader. This allows you to access these books and read them. The device will push the pre-loaded voice inputs to speech option.
- If using VoiceOver to read the book, navigate to the book text you want to read before turning VoiceOver on. Turn VoiceOver on by pressing Command-F5.
- Use the VoiceOver keys (Control+Option) to select VoiceOver commands. Select VoiceOver + U to bring up the Web Rotor
Once the Web Rotor has fully populated, you will see two headers or more.
- Navigate to the header called “Book Text” using VoiceOver + DownArrow. Use the space bar to select Book Text. Use VoiceOver + RightArrow to start reading the text.
Downloading Internet Chapters For Offline:
As we saw earlier, CourseSmart allows you to read offline as well. You do not have to connect to your internet to know. However, not many of us know that you can download chapters. Say, if you need some relevant sections that you want to go back to time, and again, you can have them with you. The steps for the same are as follows:
- You can read selected, cached chapters through your Firefox browser offline, in case you’ve got the application running on your personal computer. The process shown below is for reading the relevant sections in Firefox. However, we are sure that the steps with minor mods can be used in other browsers as well.
- From your CourseSmart bookshelf, select the desired eTextbook. Click the button to enable offline access.
- Select chapters or sections/ parts to “check out” and make available for offline use.
- Once the chapters are successfully made available for offline use, you can access your chapters in your internet browser – even while offline.
- The offline Reader supports key features like notes, highlights, copy, and searching the current page.
The eBooks what we see presently have come to a stage where they offer much more than just reading. They give us knowledge in a way we never knew. Over this article, we’ve seen that CourseSmart has brought out innovation in eBook culture for overall development of education system worldwide. However, this is just the beginning. You will find that the evolution of eBooks will lead to much more pleasant times. Of course, if you are a tutor who is looking to adapt to this revolution, join us. We will ensure that your physical book database will take up a digital form and make them available to students all over. Additionally, we will see to it that they are enhanced and hosted with extreme care. With our intuitive conversion packages, you won’t need any other service ever again.