Kindle App And Bookshelf Concepts:
Amazon Kindle has changed the way we read eBooks. With intuitive reading experience, we could use Kindle for hours and hours together. Also, we got to use the inbuilt facilities like auto-brightness and auto-management and delete, for an actual involving experience. The most innovative feature Amazon Kindle and the app were whispersync. Through this, we could buy a Kindle title online and have it on our devices and app within seconds. In addition to this, whispersync ensured that you could pick up the page at which you left off on any other device as well. These all qualities make Kindle the best reading device on the market. Within the Kindle, you get to access Bookshelf, which contains all your eBook purchases. All you have to do is select one and start reading.
Amazon Kindle Bookshelf – Limitations:
We have looked at what Kindle can achieve. However, there are some things at which Kindle still falters:
- Storage Issues: Although, Kindle devices are the best to view textual materials, they still lack huge storage spaces. Amazon Kindle usually comes with 2 to 3 GB of storage which you might run out on. Hence, once you have loaded high rich content and multimedia eBooks with Kindle, you can count your storage. Therefore, you will need to clean up your bookshelf and remove your titles.
- New Version Compatibility: Sometimes, you want to buy a new updated version of an old book. Say, an old classic has come out with an illustrate new edition which you need to read. You buy the new edition, but at the same time, you want to remove the old version from your bookshelf. This is when you need to learn how to delete the books from your account for good.
- Too Many Uninteresting Titles: Most of the Kindle users have the habit of buying free eBook as soon as they appear. They stack up to their bookshelf within Kindle with huge volumes of free eBooks. However, they forget about it or are plainly uninterested in reading them. Therefore, the books need to be removed for ease.
Ways To Delete Kindle eBooks:
1. Deleting Through Online Account:
- In this step, you need to visit your Kindle homepage online account. Visit Amazon Kindle account and sign-in with your login details.
- Thereby, you need to visit the ‘Manage Your Contents and Devices‘ page. Within this page, you will need to click on Your Content tab, and view your books under it.
- You should see checkboxes beside all the titles you bought. Check the boxes, on the titles that you want to remove from your account. At the top left corner, you should see a delete button. Press on it to delete your titles.
- To remove them from all your other devices too, you need to sync them. To do so, you have to visit the app or device and tap the three dotted menus. This will give you an option to ‘Sync and Check For New Items.’
- Once the sync is done, you should find that the books have been deleted here too.
2. Deleting Through Kindle Device:
- If the above option doesn’t work for you, you could use this method too. For this, you need to have your Kindle device or application synced before going to deleting items.
- Firstly, go to your Home screen by pressing the HUT icon on opening your Kindle app or device. Here, you will find all the titles arranged on Bookshelf. If you can’t find your book, use the search bar on the top by entering the title’s name.
- Once you have found the title, press and held on it. Within two or three seconds, a pop-menu should appear. In these options, you will find the DELETE button. Thereby, you need to click on this and remove the title.
- However, even after deleting, the title is always available on the cloud. This means that you can again download the title whenever you want. Therefore, the book is not fully removed from your Amazon account.
3. Archiving The Books And Saving Bookshelf:
- This method is for button operated Kindle devices such as Kindle 1 and 2. Within this step, you use the buttons on your Kindle device to archive and delete your titles.
- Power on your Kindle device. Thereby, visit your bookshelf by pressing on the home icon.
- However, here you need to use the 5-way control buttons to navigate your bookshelf. Click the down button till you get an underline below the title you want to remove. The line will be thick and black.
- Once you have selected the title, press the right button on the device. This will show you a list of options. In this list, select ‘Remove From Device‘ option.
- However, as with the above step, the title is not fully removed from your account. You can still find it under your account and purchases. Therefore, you can still get the title again whenever you want.
- To get the title back, you can visit the ‘Archived Items‘ inside your Kindle device and account. Select the title and press ‘Restore’ button.
4. Deleting Your Kindle Account:
- When the above steps don’t work for you, you can opt for this level. Herein, you need to remove your Amazon Kindle account. We recommend you to delete your account if your Kindle device is lost or stolen. Also, if you are planning to resell your device, this is a good option.
- To delete your account, visit your Kindle account online. Once you have logged into the page, you shall need to visit the ‘Manage Your Content And Devices’ page.
- Under this page, select the tab which says ‘Your Devices.’ Here you will see all your devices registered with the same Kindle account. You need to choose the device you want to deregister, by scrolling down and highlighting it.
- In this final step, you shall need to press the ‘De-Register‘ button, and the device is removed. Thereafter, you cannot sync your new purchases and books to that device. However, to get a new bookshelf, you can connect your device to another Amazon account.
Things You Need to Consider While Deleting:
You may need to have to consider the following measures while removing content.
- If You Just Need Space: Firstly you could delete your browsing history (in Kindle Fire) to create some space. However, if this doesn’t work, you can finally remove the titles.
- Deleting In Only One Device: Be careful while selecting the delete options. You get two options – Delete from this device and Delete From All Devices. If you wish to delete the title permanently in all apps and devices, you need to select ‘From All Devices.’ Therefore, you remove it everywhere.
- Managing You Bookshelf: You can properly use the space in Kindle by maintaining the books in a bookshelf. You can delete the titles that you are not reading from the device bookshelf. However, you can still read them by syncing the device with your Amazon account. Also, you can also use the restore option to get back your books.
This is how you delete your eBooks from your Kindle app or devices. However, after the whole discussion, it is better to choose the titles you want and buying them when you need them. Also, it is a good practice to keep your books in the cloud rather than filling up your device.