Amazon Kindle Publishing:
With new ideas and innovations all over the world, publishing has changed too. Nowadays, you can write a manuscript, format and typeset your work and even publish it. You can even make an incredible number of sales too, with smart publishing and marketing techniques. However, there are some good practices and guidelines which a self-publisher needs to follow to make the greatest output. Read on:
Step 1: Building Your Book From An Idea:
This year has seen a tremendous growth of 43% in self-publishing options on various platforms. If you ever wanted to publish a book, or at least had an idea you wanted to expand, this is the best time. You can publish your eBook quickly on Amazon within a few hours. However, the initial step is to take care of the manuscript. Your manuscript needs to be in perfect form and shape before uploading. You could turn to the traditional process of drafting and redraft your work to perfection. In addition to that, you could employ a professional typesetter for formatting the manuscript. Also, this becomes important when you need to promote your book for different devices and systems. Therefore, you need to prepare your manuscript in highly accepted Doc or Docx format. Also, you can format it at a basic level by inserting page breaks and using spell check or grammar check.
Step 2: Front Matter Preparation:
The front visual matter for an eBook publication includes the following elements:
- Title Page: You include your author credentials and also the title of the book. These are placed legibly at the centre of the title page and preferably at the top.
- Copyright: The registered copyright over the book and other materials come here. You need to include your work applicability and claim copyright over others. Also, insert a page break after such inclusion.
- Dedication: Here you have to include any dedications or testimonials for the readers. Therefore, you name the people who made the book possible.
- Preface: Once you have created the template, you may want to insert this. Also, you need to apply page break here.
- Prolog: If you want to let a part of the story to appear here, you can. Here, you can include a situation to introduce the story and characters.
Step 3: Paragraphs Setting:
As it is common, texts are divided into paragraphs. You need to ensure that your work contains properly crafted paragraphs. Therefore, the layout and paragraphs alignments become essential. Your text is by default aligned in justify type. As a result, your text appears perfectly on a Kindle device. Also, word document automatically takes indents itself. However, if you want to change those, you can go to Page Layout and choose your indent. Or, you could just slide the ruler at the top to apply indents.
Step 4: Creating A Table Of Content:
Usually, every book in the market includes a table of contents. Therefore, this is highly recommended in eBook publications too. You can guide the reader through different chapters and content with minimal effort. Also, a table of content gives your work a highly professional look. Hence, you need to include a table of contents. You can prepare such table with the help of Table of Contents tool within MS-Word. However, if you need to create it on Mac, you have to use its bookmark and hyperlink functions.
Step 5: Back Cover Details:
Here, you include the additional material needed for the book. Glossary of terms, Appendices, Bibliographies, etc. go on the back cover. You may need it compulsorily if you are publishing an academic book or historical reference. Therefore, you may need to explain some terms or relations and their presence within the book. Hence, you need to include Back cover details to go with the book. However, see that you add page breaks between them to make them clear and easy to read.
Step 6: Saving The Manuscript As HTML File:
This is the final step in preparing the eBook. Before uploading the file, you need to make sure it is in perfect shape. Once you have done it, you need to save the Doc or Docx file as an HTML file. This is necessary for uploading into Amazon with proper layout. Hence, you can ensure that the layout, alignments, and font types are preserved in upload. In order to do this, you select the option ‘ Save as HTM or HTML etc‘ in Windows or Web Page (HTM) in Mac. Also, the images within the document are stored in a different folder in the same save location. Eventually, you need to send this set of files to Amazon Kindle store.
Step 7: Publishing Your Manuscript In Form Of eBook:
You are just one step away from publishing your eBook. Once you have created your Kindle Direct Publishing account, you can start publishing your work. You have to send the HTM file set to the Bookshelf within the account. The next step is setting a cover image for the title. For this, you may turn to professional illustrators and cover designers for it. Also, you could employ the services of professional typesetters to ensure the best output for your book. Thereby, you need to make sure that the cover conveys the meaning within the textual matter. In addition to this, you need to test your manuscript within Amazon guidelines.
Step 8: Ensure That The eBook Appears In The Perfect Form:
After you have done everything to make the perfect book, you need to test it as well. Here, you need to preview if the eBook looks like you want it to look. For this the following tools are useful:
- Kindle Previewer Tool Online: You can test the form and format of your eBook through the online tool. Within the Amazon publishing page, you can opt to view your book. This tool shows how the book will appear after publishing. Hence, it is called the Previewer tool. You may make changes later on.
- Kindle Previewer Offline Application: You can also preview your textual matter with downloading the previewer application. It shows how your book will appear in different versions of Kindle-like Kindle HD and Kindle Fire. Also, it is useful if you have converted your eBook into ePub version rather than text HTML. This tool saves modified ePub into Mobi format. This is the default Amazon Kindle format and is used in publishing eBooks directly.
- KindleGen Tool For XML/HTML: If you want to control the final output from initial stages, you need this tool. This tool includes inline command system, whereby HTML files can be tweaked and made perfect as per Amazon Kindle guidelines. In addition to this, Kindlegen can be used with primary text conversion tools like Calibre, Sigil, etc.This will ensure that your work is formatted the perfect way for Amazon Kindle publishing portal.
Step 9: Guidelines Regarding ISBN And DRM:
During the publication process, Amazon Kindle gives you an option to opt for DRM (Digital rights management). Using this, you can ensure that the eBook publication is not illegally used anywhere without your consent. You have the total control on where to sell the eBook and the rights relating to it. However, you can opt out of this option during publishing. You can still sell your eBook on Amazon Kindle store, but there is a chance of infringement or privacy. Also, You can have an ISBN as soon as the book is out in the online market.
Step 10: Enrolling An eBook Into KDP Select Program:
You have to promote your book in the best way possible to increase its sales. More exposure will establish you as a writer of decent repute. Hence, it is important to use Amazon KDP promotional tools. Therefore, you can opt to enrol with KDP Select program at the time of uploading or at a later stage. Also, you can opt for this program at any stage of the sale. However, why do you need to choose KDP Select? For starters, you can utilize the option of discount deals on your books. This will ensure higher sales initially. Also, you may opt for particular days to sell the book for free. This option is only available for a few days. However, it is a good option for a self-publisher, since people buy free eBooks more.
As Amazon Kindle publishing becomes more and more prevalent, it is important that every publisher knows about its guidelines. However, if you are a self-publisher, you need to approach professional eBook conversion services which help you bring out your book in the best way possible.