With the growth in technology, the world is fast replacing the traditional paper form books with electronic books. Depending on some factors, eBooks have different layouts- one of them being the fixed layout. A book is said to have a fixed layout if the readers cannot change the layout of the contents of the pages of an eBook. This means the readers cannot alter components such as; line spacing, line margin, fonts, or text sizes of any pages in the eBook.
The files of different electronic books have different formats depending on the target audience and the devices on which the content can be displayed. One of these file formats is the ePUB. A fixed layout ePUB is, therefore, an ePUB file whose layout cannot be changed by the reader.
When is it appropriate or inappropriate to use a fixed layout ePUB?
Books in fixed layout ePUB resemble the traditional print design. Fixed layout ePUB is good for books that have almost all their pages bleeding as well as art created at a particular aspect ratio. Examples of such publications include; Children’s picture books, Graphical Novels, Manga, and Comics.
Other circumstances where a fixed layout ePUB can be considered include;
- When the writer wants multicolumn texts pages for the book.
- The horizontal orientation is preferable for the book to be published.
- A background color is a key consideration in the design of an eBook.
- It is necessary, those texts have to be wrapped around images.
Where the content is to be heavily composed of books, a fixed layout ePUB would make a poor choice of presentation. This is because the readers of the content will have a difficult time trying to zoom and pan to view the texts clearly. Text search functionalities are sometimes lost when using fixed layout ePUB, where the creators of an eBook want to enable efficient text search features, a reflowable layout would serve a good choice.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of fixed layout ePUB?
Some of the benefits of a fixed layout ePUB are;
- Writers are in total control of the content to include in the books; this is particularly an advantage to those writers who would like to maintain the appearance of their content.
- Content independence when it comes to devices and software; fixed layout ePUB is varied across different software and devices. This means that designers have to specialize in one or two devices and software, boosting the quality of productivity in the long run.
- Excellently and highly supports font embedding.
- Readers have not so much control over the contents they are reading. This can bring about a reader opposite experience.
- It is expensive to produce and update fixed layout ePUB files.
- Production is also time-consuming and cannot, therefore, be reliable where fast, and emergency publications are required.
- Since the layout is device independent, it is not supported on the very many available platforms limiting accessibility to readers and therefore reducing the profitability scales achieved from sales.
Where can you inquire and get services for your fixed layout ePUB files?
We are leading company that offers high-quality publishing services to suit your different publishing needs. For more information on fixed layout ePUB files conversion and publishing services, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone numbers.