EBook Reading Applications And Why They Are Important:
Nowadays most of us look to reading books on our electronic devices. In the past, you used to read the books physically by either buying them or renting them from a library. Although that process has not changed, they have come to a more digital platform. Now you can buy books or borrow them from digital platforms, or rather online bookstores. Now when purchasing and reading books have become comfortable, you have a chance to try out various apps and devices which offer similar features. You can, of course, see that each one of them is a bit different from each other. One amongst them is the latest ePub reader in the market, GitDen reader. This android application for reading Epub and Epub3 files is offering almost all the features and more.
What Is GitDen Reader:
GitDen perhaps is stable, and nifty little Android eBook reading app. But that’s not all. You need to know more about it, regarding its functions and facilities. GitDen gives you all the freedom, to load up different Epub versions and still open and read it within it. The official press release tells you, Flowing & Fixed layout books are newly defined in EPUB 3 and many features to display both designs have been added. Gitden Reader supports EPUB 3 for both design books to its highest standards. The definition simply put, tells you that GitDen can quickly pick up the new types of Epub, even if they are loaded with multimedia content. You can practically read almost any kind of book in this. You will find that the following are some things which make GitDen a truly excellent eBook reader for Android app.
What makes GitDen Reader A Good Alternative:
With GitDen, you get an easy to use eBook reader who does what it says. You can easily read Epub books within this app. However, you can find this feature in many other books such as Sigil, Mobipocket Reader, Moon+ or many others. What makes GitDen stand out in the market is its features. Some of them are:
Support For Reflowable Content:
Over the years, Epub has become famous for its reflowable content support. Reflowable content means that you can read the text in any way you want and still not lose out the content. Therefore, even if you turn the device to parallel way, you don’t lose out. The app adjusts your text, allignments, images and even multimedia content according to the way you are viewing your device. Be it horizontal or vertical. This is one of the reasons that most eBook publishers opt for making their content in ePub2 format. However, then the new version for ePub came into light.
Epub3 which came out recently gave out a new feature. One that was perhaps before Epub changed up initially. Epub 3 came out with the Fixed layout. The fixed layout allows you to view your eBook content in the same way in any way you want. There’s no need for confusion. Basically, with ePub 2, the app will make your designs, alignment change and allow you to read. In contrast, Fixed layout allows the whole content to change according to the screen dimensions. Of course, this means that sometimes you may lose out on your eBook reading experience.
Multimedia Inclusion And Overlay:
Like any other eBook reading app, GitDen boasts of support to play and read multiple media files within the books. Today, publishers are opting for eBooks more than the physical books, because of the features they offer. One of these majorly is the support to have audio-video files in it, 3D graphical content, etc. By doing so, a reader is given the opportunity to involve much more into the content. They make the books more engaging and involving than the physical books. If you are a publisher, you will have to use this feature, of having appropriate media content included. But what is the use if you don’t have any supportive readers for it. This is where GitDen excels.
For both Reflowable and Fixed layout books, as you saw earlier, tapping “Play” button would play the sound included in the eBook, with its relevant texts highlighted along with played media. However, you will have to take note that, iBooks supports only for Fixed layout book. You can always go for most the types of audio files and video files. However, rarely you will have to install some plugin supports when you are going to read complicated books. When we say complex books, we are referring to comic books made in digital format eBooks.
Global Text Input Support:
We all have been through such a situation. Where we open an app in our device, load up the book, but all we end up doing is hang the app and make it shut down. Of course, this is because the app is not supporting the said file. Or even if it does, it cannot read the text in it. Mostly this happens when the global font styles are not supportive. Consider this; most reading apps fail to have support for eastern writing styles, such as Hindi, Arabic or Chinese. Even where they do, sometimes it may so happen that your app or device does not support right-to-left writing. These eBook readers thereby need to lend support to this type of alignment also. This where GitDen Android app for smartphones, comes to the front.
GitDen is thereby showing support to almost all types of text formats. The main highlights for this are,
- RTL(Right-to-left) text direction for language scripts like Arabic, Hebrew, etc. They support middle eastern characters as well. Of course, you can still use the full features of reading app, like Zoom in and Zoom out, Annotations,
- Vertical text direction: Japanese, old Korean/Chinese, etc. Now, this is a huge deal for any application, if it becomes one with a greater base of readers. And GitDen, of course, manages this. If you are from the orient, you do not have to look anywhere else. This app has great things in store for you.
- LTR(Left-to-right) text direction. Obviously, this is how most of the books are made and read in the world. Most books and their scripts are written in Left to Right format. And therefore, you will face no problem reading these books.
- Gitden Reader also supports books which include chapters written in several different languages. This feature, of course, means that you can have books which include parts which have a different font or style than the remaining part. Therefore, you won’t have your app shutting down in the middle of reading your ePub book.
- With simultaneous support for different scripts and fonts, GitDen gives you all the freedom to read almost any book made in the ePub format.
Support For MultiMedia:
If you are someone who has been using eBook reading devices or apps for reading your eBooks on devices, you know many out there. Most famous of them are, Moon Reader, Aldiko reader for Android, Kindle (which comes from Amazon), Blio eBook, etc. Most of them come to this list because they give you several options for reading, sharing, and support for Multimedia content. However, sometimes not many apps are made to support complex multimedia content, like 3D and High Pixel density. However, You do not have this particular problem when you are using GitDen.
GitDen has native support for Scalable Vector Graphics. And more so, this goes on to the version of graphics 1.1. However, you will have to understand that SVG within GitDen holds relevance. To learn Scalable Vector Graphics, we can turn to their description which goes in the following manner. SVG is an XML-based vector image format for two-dimensional graphics with support for interactivity and animation. The SVG specification is an open standard developed by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) since 1999. You can define XML text files using SVG images too. SVG means that you can search, index, script, and compress, images when you want.
You Can Also Get User Fonts For Reading:
How exciting is it when you can read your books in the way you want. And no we aren’t talking about just the books you read in your app or device or the layout in which to do. In this context, we are talking about using your fonts in the app and read your books. EBook editor could embed specific fonts in the .epub file when publishing the eBook. Gitden Reader enables users to install their favorite fonts when reading the eBook.
Therefore, GitDen will help you load up your fonts within the app and get reading. You can do so with some simple steps such as, getting True Type and Open Type fonts onto your system while opening the book. However, note that you can only get the relative language fonts only when you open those books. For example, if you are trying to open a Korean book within this app, you will be prompted to get the appropriate fonts for it. You can now download Korean fonts. However, this is just a one-time thing, as later on, you can easily read other Korean ePub eBooks within this device.
Again one of the most common features that we see coming along with any eBook reader these days is read out. You can go ahead and use this feature to get your device to speak out your text. Also, having said this, the voice over might not work in case of non-English languages. Even if they are, you will have to download and install your sound files for that particular text. When you do this, you are eating into your device’s storage. Is the situation any better in GitDen? Let’s find out.
To get the text-to-voice feature active in your eBook, you can follow the below steps,
- To use read aloud (Text to Speech) feature in this app, tap the read aloud(TTS) icon in the toolbar. If the content you are looking at is English UK or the US, you won’t have any problem with playing it. However, if the script you are looking at is non-regional than English, then you may have to get those voice files.
- Tap the TTS icon which will allow you to stop, play or pause your text-to-voice feature. Of course, you also have a greater load of features, which help you turn to the next page, even skip one altogether.
- Tap the other part: If you tap the other part of the text rather than the reading part, it will start reading the part touched.
If you tap the left or right margin, the screen move to the previous or next page but the reading page doesn’t be changed.
- Now, what about the options you get in while selecting the text. Within these options, you will find the below features. You will see In the options window; there are icons to stop, pause, back to the reading page, reset options and buttons to adjust pitch and speed rate. You can change the sound as higher or lower with Pitch, and reading speed with Rate.
- Although the whole process using text-to-voice features is pretty easy, what if you want to pause it somewhere, and pick up the book. You may find that reading a certain passage seems a better option than to read it. This is where you will have to come out of narration mode. To do so, move to the other page and tap the Jump icon and then you can move to the reading page.
- Within this app, you can also get up your fonts and read the materials in that. However, one additional thing that you can do is, get your voice language. GitDen follows the language setting of an OPF file. Additionally, it supports the HTML tags, and HTML files to load up your languages as well. If there is no specific language setting in an EPUB file, it supports the language setting of the device. Thus, you can read any books aloud with TTS in Gitden Reader, only if the book is an EPUB regardless of EPUB 2 or EPUB 3.
Other Useful Features Of Having GitDen eBook Reader For Android Device:
Although, most of the below features are given out by most of the eBook readers. Still, they are worth mentioning. Some of these features make for a real good read.
- GitDen supports including bookmarks and highlights. Of course, you can create notes within the app which are saved and supported within the application itself. Also, you can export your items across devices and the web. This way you never lose out on your collection, wherever you go.
- We understand that this is not particularly a new feature at all. Google books, Kindle, Aldiko, etc. have been providing this functionality for a long time now. This is what the company refers to as Curl page turn effect. This means that whenever you turn pages in this app, you see a 3D effect in doing so. Perhaps, just adding up to the whole reading experience.
- To add more help in your reading, GitDen gives auto background feature, which according to the time of the date, changes from white, black and sepia. Naturally, you will find that the background changes to the time and location of the device.
- Other exciting features you will see in GitDen app while reading your eBook are, you can jump back to the page after another selection. You may also create pop-up footnotes. Also, the app gives you the option to support gestures for page turns, tap to turn, or fixing volume buttons to do so. Also, you can double tap to zoom in on an image and get a more detail view of it. With some tweaks and tools, GitDen could just be the app you are waiting for your books mad in ePub3 version.
Although eBook reading apps have become the norm of the day, you can be assured that most of them require properly made eBooks. You can utilize them properly only when the books boast of proper typesetting, alignments, graphic compatibility etc. For a self-publisher, this might be a tough task, as he may not have the means to do this. To bring your book to the highest quality, you may employ professional publishing services which offer you best of the class services at wallet-friendly packages. Drop us a mail today.