How can a writer format and up to the standard manuscript?
One of the key ways to attract or lose readers is formatting. A writer’s content might be so suitable for the targeted audience, but poor formatting can be so costly by discouraging a better percentage of the audience from interacting with the writer’s book(s). Apart from readers, for press companies to willingly accept publishing a writer’s content, the work must be in a format that is acceptable by the company. Otherwise, they will ignore the poorly formatted manuscript and continue concentrating on more serious jobs as a result of their tight and busy schedules.
It is, therefore, important that writers consult with various reliable publishing firms on how to best format their work or have a deep scope of how to carry out all process. Self-publishers should also not be left behind in search of the best tips on how to present content. At print2eforms, we provide such platforms using our publishing services to enable writers to come up with presentable content ready for submission to publishing companies.
Here is a brief guide on how to format a manuscript:
Fonts: If there is not any particular type of font specified by the publisher’s guidelines, Times New Roman or Courier can do. It is important that one of these fonts is chosen without using them interchangeably.
Font size: To enable the readers to have a good reading experience while interacting with written content, a font size of 12 is the best.
Font color: This should be strictly black. For those in love with colors, kindly do away with the idea of too much coloring as that isn’t required in manuscript formatting.
How the Margins, Spacing, and Indentation are organized
Margins: These should be 1 inch all around the manuscript.
Spacing: The synopsis is usually single-spaced between lines.
- The body of the manuscript is always double-spaced between lines.
- A single space should be used after punctuations.
- No extra line should be inserted between paragraphs.
- Soft returns are never to be used anywhere in the paragraphs, and regular returns are only to be used at the end of the paragraphs.
Indentation: A 0.5-inch indent should be inserted on the first line of every new paragraph in the manuscript.
How the first page, headers, and subsequent texts are formatted
The first page of the manuscript: The name of the writer and contact information is put in the upper-left corner of this page.
- The genre of the manuscript and the word count is placed in the upper right corner.
- The details in the name, contact information, genre, and word count are all single spaced.
- The word count should always be rounded off to the nearest thousands.
- The title of the manuscript is put a third way below the top margin- all written in caps.
- The word “by” is put two line below the title.
- The name of the author is placed two lines below the word “by.”
- Only justify the left-hand side of the manuscript. Do not bother about the right.
The second page of the manuscript: The header is begun on the second page of the manuscript.
- Numbering begins on the right-hand side the second page of the manuscript.
- The title of the manuscript which is followed by a slash symbol then the author’s name is found on the left-hand side of the second page.
The second and subsequent chapters: space down of 1/3 to ½ from the top margin of the page is required before the CHAPTER TWO is written and centered.
- The body of the manuscript then begins four lines below the “CHAPTER TWO.”
- Italics can be used to stress emphasis where necessary.
- At the end of the manuscript, the word END is typed.
During submission for publishing, the most common format in which manuscripts are submitted to publishers is the word .doc format.
Meet and interacting with one of the leading publishing service providers in the world!
Are you in search of quality prepress services offered at affordable costs? If yes, you’ve finally met the best publishing services providers currently in existence. We offer a pool of services which you can exploit among them being manuscript formatting services.