The world is growing electronic, so are books. Since you should also grow while embracing the latest technology, it is important as a writer to evolve from making books in paper form to books in electronic form. Surprising enough, you can self-publish your eBook with great success; the only challenge might be learning how to make the eBook. As the next few paragraphs unfold, learn with me how to make an eBook.
Step 1; Learn and compare the different eBook formats
Get to know what PDF, EPUB, and other eBook formats entail; know the devices on which these formats are readable and how they can be converted from one format to the other. With such a solid knowledge, you readers can meet you on any device hence making you writings reachable to your readers. A broad audience of readers means more rewards from your work; it is quite obvious that no writer would wish to go unrewarded for work well done.
Step 2; Write your eBook copy
This involves a series of procedures. While making your eBook copy, do so in the simplest format possible (preferably the word format). Using the simplest document format will make things easy for you at a later stage when you need to reach out to your different audiences using different eBook formats. Converting your eBook from one format to the other will ensure the originality of your content whenever a simple format is used at the initial stages.
Below is a brief guide to writing your eBook copy
Make the title page; type the details that should always be found on the title page. An example of such information includes; the eBook’s title, the eBook’s subtitles, and the name of the eBook’s author. As you make the title page, select the style in which you would want to format the page. You can also apply creativity by emphasising your preferred sections such as the title of the eBook. This can be done through the use of bold, italics, or underline options.
Make a table of contents; Start a new page entitled -‘Table of Contents.’ Decide and choose a format for your list of contents and type in your heading levels.
A demonstration of how you can make the table of contents using word is;
- Choose references
- Table of contents
- Then insert table of contents
- Make your table of contents
Have the chapters prepared; Start a new page from where you can now make your eBook’s chapters. Type the heading of your chapter, and format it using a heading style. If you are using word, heading style 1 is the best for formatting headings. Heading styles 2 is the best for making subheadings.
Come up with appropriate headers and footers for each page; Headers and footers make your eBook appear more attractive and professional. You can make the eBook’s title your header, and the page numbers your footer. If you are not satisfied with these headers and footers, feel free to put what pleases you the most.
Save your eBook’s design as a reusable template and convert it into other formats of your desire; since you might want to write more eBooks in future with the same layout; save the written eBook’s design as a reusable template. You will then be in a position to automatically retrieve an eBook’s layout the next time you want to write one. After saving the eBook, you can now make it into different formats to be read on different devices.
Tools to be used for eBook processing:
Once you have got your book into a proper shape, the next step is to process it. After all, you need to see how your book will look eventually after publishing. Hence, this is where online tools come in handy. Hence, you may download these and view your result. However, to get almost the exact eBook preview, you shall need to convert the draft into an ePub file. Once you have your ePub file, you can use the following tools to view the final output:
- Calibre : You can get this all eBook processing tool for free on all platforms. After installing Calibre, the setup shall scan your PC for new and existing eBooks. However, You could cancel this and point the folders to find eBooks. Calibre reads all the book formats. So, you can open your draft in it, and go to convert. At this point, you to confirm the output format as ePub and Mobi which are the running forms of eBooks. Later on, when Calibre finishes the conversion, you can view the output as an eBook within its view options.
- Scrivener/Sigil : These two eBook editing tools work in a very similar fashion. Once you run the software, it asks for the browse path, and load up the final draft. Once it is loaded, you can still make changes to the text like editing, alignments, page breaks, etc. Thus, after you have set everything properly, you can press on convert, and in the output select ePub or Mobi file formats.
Furthering Your eBook Process Into Kindle Support:
Now that you have a widely accessible format in your hands, you can further tweak it to the next level. Hence, you can convert ePub files to other eBook formats with minimal efforts. However, the conversion depends upon the platform you would choose for your work. In case you are opting for Amazon Kindle Publishing, then read the following tools which will help you on the way:
- Amazon Kindle Previewer: You can get this tool for free on Amazon Kindle publishing page. However, instead of downloading the tool, you could also test your work online with the same web version of the tool. Since at times some sensitive cannot be processed online, you can then use this offline tool. Once your installation is complete, open the draft in it, either through browse function or drag and drop function. Later on, you can save the output format as Mobi content.
- Amazon Kindle Previewer Online: As stated above you can use this tool to do the same function. However, this is advisable for users who are running out of system space. Therefore, you can use the web tool to get your book from your PC and preview it. Since it is a replica of Kindle previewer in the first option, you can also save the result as Mobi file onto your system. However, you can modify or edit its content within these tools.
- KindleGen Plugin: Since we saw that Kindle preview tools does not allow editing and changing the text, this plugin is required. After all, what is the use of previewing the output if we can’t modify it then and there? You can, therefore, use this free plugin which you can get from Amazon Kindle home page and use it with other tools.
Illustrations and Cover Designs:
Although you have prepared your final draft, you still need to put it for sale on a bookshelf. Hence, for this reason, you need a perfect cover image to promote the eBook. The following are the factors you need to keep in mind while you are preparing a cover design:
- Firstly, the cover you select should be a symbol for the content inside. You need to choose a design depending on the matter you have.
- You cannot use harsh colours unless it is required. Studies say that most readers pick up books which are designed with simpler and pleasant colours, However, having said that, if the content demands such colour use, you can opt for simpler designs.
- You shall need to ensure that the design patterns you choose are not hurting any sentiments of any factions. Since you might get into unnecessary troubles over it.
Illustrations and Artworks:
You have the perfect final draft in your hand, but sometimes that is not enough. If you are coming out with technical books, reference materials, and study manuals, you will need something more. You may need to explain certain points or theories with the help of illustrations. You need to look at the following pointers to ensure that Illustrations are:
- Choose Illustrations which further explain the concept rather than confuse it further. Having said that, you can always take the help of professional illustrators to capture the feel of the work perfectly.
- You shall need to ensure that Artworks included are aligned correctly. Too much difference between the text and figures need to be reduced. You can preview this in publishing tools and ensure that everything is properly arranged.
- You can also see to it that the illustrations and artworks are free for use. If not, you have to buy them and use them. You have to review the figures and artwork that the book includes before sending it for publishing.
Usage Of Media Content:
You can prepare a text heavy eBook manuscript fairly quickly. However, when it comes to making enhanced eBooks that are where you will have to be careful. You have to consult a professional eBook publisher and include enhancements within eBook. However, how can you use media content or enhanced graphics for an eBook:
- You can use multimedia content to enhance the book to be more involving and entertaining. Also, you can use it as a pitch to drive home a point. More often than not, you can explain complicated passages with the help of a little video or animation.
- In some cases where the content includes, spatial or technical aspects, you may have to use in-depth artwork which explains the content. You can approach an animator or graphic designer to come with multimedia content for your work.
- You can properly use these multimedia in these types of eBooks – Related to children’s books, Movie tie-in books, Biographies, Instruction manuals, Activity and self-help books, Practice manuals and guides, etc. Therefore, you can accurately convey your content within these books.
- In addition to this, you can use Audio files to convey a message. You get an advantage of helping the user choose between reading your book or listening to it. This is where you get the concept of AudioBooks. You can make your book in a way that some singular passages have the option of audio tracks to play in the background. This makes the content more involving and engaging.
Publishing The eBook On Amazon Kindle Store:
Register Yourself In Kindle Publishing Site:
To sign up for the Kindle store account, you need to have an Amazon account. You can use an existing Amazon account or sign up for it if you don’t have it yet. You may need to confirm the creation by clicking on the confirmation mail you receive.
Sign In and Fill Up Your Contact Details:
After you sign into Kindle publishing home page, make sure to visit profile tab. Under profile tab, you will find details. Apart from the general contact information, you will come across fill ups asking for Tax compliance. You shall need to electronically sign the taxation acceptance form for receiving payments in the form of royalty. Also, if you might have to declare if you are a citizen of US or not and depending on the answer, you may have to submit your TIN number also.
Publishing Criteria To Take Care About:
The following are the several steps which you have to follow to ensure that the eBook comes out good.
- Entering The Title Of The Book : You shall have to get into the title for your work. Users and readers will be finding your book through this title only. Hence be sure to make it perfect as it is essential
- Allotting The Genres and Categories : To maximise your reach you should put your work in genres which are specific to your work. If you list it under overall genres like ‘Space,’ SciFi, etc., the chances are that Users may not see your eBook in category lists. Category and subcategory are, therefore, important.
- Include Cover Images : You can include your own image pertaining the work here using the browse button. However, in the case, you do not have a cover image you can use Amazon illustration services. Also, you shall have to ensure that the cover image is within the terms, dimensions and conditions put up by Amazon. If you find an error in processing multiple times, you need to change the whole cover.
- Submit Your Manuscript : Once you have taken care of everything else, it is time for your manuscript. You have to submit your manuscript to Amazon Kindle. However, you can still preview your book by using native Kindle tools as specified above. However, you cannot make edits to it. You can only make edits offline and upload it again. Thus, you have to have a good look at how your eBook appears in the preview window.
- Waiting For Approval : Once you hit the submit the content, you have agreed to the terms put in by Amazon. The submission will take a minute, but the approval takes around 24 to 36 hours. You can visit your eBook on Amazon Kindle stores after the time.
Publishing and Increasing Your eBook Sales on Kindle:
You can choose one of the following options to enhance your eBook sales after they appear on Kindle store:
- Social Media Coverage: One of the best ways to promote your eBook after release is using social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Google plus. You can share the link from your Amazon page to all these accounts and ask your friends to do the same.
- Enrolling In KDP Select: You can also utilize the Amazon native promotional tools for your eBooks. KDP Select program helps authors increase their eBooks with a simple few clicks. You can have your eBook available free for a period. Of course, as more readers pick up books which are free, you can increase your sales. One other option is selling your eBook for a discount. However, an author can use these options for only a period of 90 days as per Amazon guidelines.
- Online Promotions and Blog Collaboration: Apart from the usual social posts, an author can use other platforms like blogs, website entries, journal hosting websites to further promote your eBook. Also, you can submit your book for review on different websites like GoodReads, Book reviews etc. However, you have to connect your Amazon page, Facebook page to these websites, so that the review get transferred to the page as well.
- Offline Promotional Activities: Even though you are promoting an eBook, you can still use the conventional promotional tactics. These involve using audio, video and media content to promote your eBooks. You have to sell an eBook in the same manner as a physical one.Creating promotional videos and podcasts, product landing pages, power point presentations to support come under the promotion steps. In addition to this, you can also use posters, info-graphs, quote pictures, etc. as well.
We offer publishing services that can be useful to you while making your eBook
Our company has a pool of skills that are well set to help your in making your eBook; we can typeset your eBook as well as convert it to different formats at the best prices in the market. Kindly reach us by visiting our offices or contacting us through our office phone numbers, email addresses, and social accounts platforms.