Have you found an ePub file online or on your computer and you can’t seem to open it? ePub stands for Electronic Publication, and it is usually a free and open standard ebook. The format is popular mainly because of being freely available, and many people use it to publish magazines, newspapers, and eBooks. Epub files come with the advantage of adjustable font sizes and text layouts according to the dimensions of devices they are viewed from. It makes it possible to read the same files even on tablets and smartphones, something that can be hard to enjoy with other formats.
Instead of searching for what programs open epub files, we could resort to some freely available tools for epub. When opening epub files on your Windows PC, you can use MobiPocket Reader, FBreader or Adobe Digital Editions. Also, there are tools which open ePub files online. Also, you can open epub files in windows. Adobe Digital Editions tend to be faster when it comes to page load time, and rendering is also much better compared to the other readers. However, it is important to note that ADE is not the same with Adobe Reader. You cannot open an ePub file using Adobe Reader.
Also important to remember is that even though Adobe Digital Editions is a program that is free for Windows and Mac, it opens standard ePub files and not the fixed layout ePub files or Mobi files. Before you can open your files, you will need to start by downloading and installing Adobe Digital Editions.
Downloading and Installing Adobe Digital Editions for Windows:
- To download this program, visit adobe.com/ca/products/digital-editions/download.html and choose the download option for Windows.
- The file should download, after which you can go ahead and double click or single click on it. When you click on it, the installer will be launched, and the installation process will begin. Adobe digital edition for epub will proceed to the next step.
- A security warning will appear before launching the installer. When it seems, click ‘Run’ or any other approval message you might get. Disapproving will stop the installation so make sure you approve of saving time.
- Next, you will be required to accept Adobe Digital Editions license agreement. After you have accepted it, you can click on ‘Next’ to continue with the installation process.
- The screen that appears next gives you the chance to make any changes to the installation options. You can make changes as desired on this screen or click on ‘Next’ to go ahead installing with the current settings.
- The installation will take place automatically, and then a ‘Completed’ message will be displayed. When the message appears, you should click the Close button to finish the process.
- Next, you will see a ‘Thank You’ message, and you will be required to click on ‘Done.’
- A few moments after the installation has completed, you will see the program starting an indication that the facility is over and the program is now ready for use. To use, you will need to start by adding a new ePub file on your Bookshelf. You can make the addition using File> Add to Library menu command.
- In essence, at the end of the installation process, you should have an Adobe Digital Editions icon on the desktop. You can click on the icon to start the program immediately or later. If you do not want to use the icon on your desktop, then you can use the long process by clicking on Windows or the start button and selecting ADE from the list of programs that you have displayed. Using the desktop icon is a much easier thing to do, but your choice solely depends on your preferences.
- You are now ready to save ePub files to your Windows PC, and the following steps will take you through the simple procedure.
Saving your ePub files on Windows
Epub files are usually sent to your email as attachments. You might also get them as DropBox links in case they happen to be larger in size making them inappropriate for email attachments. To open epub files, First, you will need to download the files from the email attachment or from the drop box depending on the mode you receive them in. To confirm that they are the right files, they should have a .epub extension to them right after the name of the file.
When downloading your files, it is very important to take note of where they get saved on your computer. You want to avoid the stress of trying to trace the files all over the computer. Saving your files on the desktop or in the documents folder is advisable. They are the easiest places from where you can find your files to open. Whatever location you choose, just make sure it is easy to remember later when it is time for you to open the ePub file.
The next step involved in the procedure is to see if Adobe can open or see if Adobe can read the epub file. After you have saved the files, now you can go ahead and open the files using Adobe Digital Editions. And the step, therefore, answers the query if Adobe can open epub files in windows. Using Adobe Digital Editions the same can be achieved.
Opening ePub files on Windows using Adobe Digital Editions
At this point, you have your ePub installed and ready and the files that you wish to open are on your computer; it is now time to open the files for reading. Now the next step to open epub files is as follows.
Of course, you will need to begin by opening the Adobe Digital Editions program which you simply do by double-clicking the desktop icon or going through the start button and into the programs list from where you can select the program from.
Next, within the Adobe Digital Editions program use menu commands File > Add to Library to start locating the files that you want to open. Remember the files are already on your computer and you just have to retrieve them by choosing the location where you earlier saved them. After you click on file you are interested in opening, the book will automatically display on your ADE bookshelf and will be ready to be opened.
To open it, you simply need to click on the book cover; you might need to double click. Also, you can then use the arrows that are present at the bottom area of the screen to start browsing or navigating the book. And you should have an easy time reading the files now.
If you are new to the ADE program, you can get more help installing from the Getting Started Guide offered by Adobe on images.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/digital-editions/assets/welcome.epub.
For further step by step guides on processing and converting your documents interchangeably, be sure to visit our link.