Usually, ePub files are easy to view on eReader devices like the Nook or an iPad. With the help of a few downloading instructions, you can see your files on the iPad. However, just because you do not have any of these eReader devices does not necessarily mean that you cannot see your files. You still can open the files on a computer.
To view the ePub files that you are interested in on your PC, you need additional software. You, of course, have to go through downloading and installing the software that will make the file viewing possible for you. Adobe Digital Editions is one of the best programs you can install to view the ePub files. The program is recommended for non-fixed layout files which are the standard ePub files. You can also install a Readium app for Google Chrome.
If what you are dealing with is a fixed layout ePub file, then it is recommended that you install a Readium app for Google Chrome to make the file viewing possible.
Mac owners are lucky because the laptops and desktops come with a pre-installed iBooks. It opens the ePub files automatically, and it works for both fixed layouts and standard files. This means you need not download or install additional software.
Using Adobe Digital Editions to View ePub files on your PC
If you do not have a Mac and you also do not have an eReader device and still want to view your ePub files, Adobe Digital Editions is what you should consider installing. Before anything else, it is important that you remember this program is not the same with Adobe Reader. You cannot view ePub files using Adobe Reader but you can, using the Adobe Digital Editions program.
Also important to note is that the ADE can be used for Mac and Windows but can only open and view standard ePub files. This means that if you have fixed layout ePub files, you cannot use the Adobe Digital Editions program to see the files. Below are steps that you can use to download and install the program so that you can see your ePub files on your PC.
Steps to download and install the Adobe Digital Editions program
- To download the program, start by visiting adobe.com/ca/products/digital-editions/download.html. From here you can choose the appropriate download either for your Mac or Windows PC.
- Next, click on the file so that the installer can be launched after the download has completed. The file will go on to the next step which is most likely a security warning. Select the approval message that appears or on ‘RUN’ to continue with the process.
- A License Agreement should be next, and all you have to do is accept the agreement and then click on ‘Next’ to continue. The page that shows on your screen next gives you a chance to make any changes that you feel are necessary as far as the installation is concerned. You can make changes or click on the ‘Next’ button to continue using the default settings.
- The installation will continue until a ‘Completed’ message is displayed. Click on close to complete, after which you will get a Thank You message requiring that you click on a ‘Done’ button.
- Finally, the Adobe Digital Editions program will start running alerting you that your installation has been completed successfully.
Important to note is that when the installation is over, the program’s icon should have been added automatically to your desktop. You can double-click on it every time you want to use the program. The other way you can use to run the program is finding the Windows start button and then looking it up under the program before clicking to start running it.
To add an ePub to the program, you will have to find the Bookshelf section then use ‘File’ and then click the ‘Add to Library’ menu command to have the relevant files displayed.
How to save your ePub files on the PC
Now that your ePub reading program ADE has successfully been installed on your machine go to the next step of saving the files to the computer so that you can open them. This is a simple thing to do.
Usually, you will get the files as an email attachment or as Dropbox links sent to you. To save them on your PC, you should first download them to the computer from the email attachment of the Dropbox link depending on what you have. Files that are sent as Dropbox links are usually too large to send in the form of email attachments.
When downloading the files to your computer, take note of the location on the computer where they get saved. Choose the desktop or your documents folder to save the files because they are easy places to find when it is time to view the files. If you are not keen on where the files get saved, you are likely to have a hard time tracing them from your computer locations hence the importance of knowing exactly where they get saved.
Steps to view the ePub files on PC using Adobe Digital Editions
- Find the ‘File’ section of the program and then scroll to the ‘Add to Library’ command and select it. It will open a dialogue box where you can go ahead and locate the ePub files that you wish to view. Remember the files are already on the PC, so you only have to retrieve them from where you saved them on the computer.
- Double click on the ADE icon on your computer desktop or from the program menu to open it.
- Your ePub file or book will appear on the Bookshelf, and you can go ahead and view it by double-clicking on the cover. The program is designed to be user-friendly and you will have an easy time navigating the file using the arrows that are on the screen bottom area. You can now enjoy the file!
- Also, for eBook conversion services, especially to ePub, visit our site for a detailed discussion.