ISSUU is the electronic publishing platform for various types of magazines, newspapers, and catalogues. Founded in Copenhagen in the year 2006, ISSUU helps to publish the titles for free. ISSUU is actively helping out publishers to get their titles into the market. The platform does this by having a range of 100 million visitors and 30 million documents. Therefore, ISSUU helps everyone, right from large publishers to fresh graduates, who have written something and wanting to publish their work through this platform.
An author to publish the work just has to wait for a few minutes for all the process. Furthermore, a single user has no stop or limit to the number of publications within site. To say, ISSUU hosts nearly more than 20,000 publications every day is amazing. Also, with the range of magazines, portfolios, catalogs, newspapers, and guides on DIY programs, literature and other kinds of information on community programs.
Major alternatives to ISSUU
ISSUU has been going on strong for a long time right from the beginning. A reader can legally access the publications over the internet either on mobiles or smartphones. ISSUU is an innovative application that is readily available from anywhere without having to pay much for the titles. Apart from ISSUU, some electronic publication platforms also use it as an alternative publishing platform. If you miss out on an opportunity to publish on ISSUU, you can choose from these ten alternatives to publish and reach audiences worldwide.
The Alternatives are:
- Scribd: Users consider this to be one of the best PDF and ePub readers. Also, Scribd includes a virtual library too. The reader can skim through a wide range of titles and publications. Additionally, he can also get them to a device directly from the application.
- Calameo: Calameo helps you to get advertisements or any printed matter for a virtual distribution in a matter of few minutes. Along with the magazines and the books, companies also distribute a message for their business on Calameo.
- Joomag: Joomag has been helping to make the field of digital distribution more straightforward and convenient. With the support of this platform, the user can distribute and can keep track of the work in the later stages.
- FlippingBook: This site gives an entire look of an actual book where the person can flip through the pages while reading. PDF documents within this offer excellent clarity on any device. If needed, you can share the publication over the internet, or directly send the link to a person.
- Hashdoc: This platform is more on the corporate side of the topic at hand. For an individual who is looking out for some employment-based assets, they can access this site to get information. Moreover, the present cases available on the site can be used as a reference, if there is a problem in the company.
- Zyyne: This platform utilises the HTML5 format for publication. This site is loaded with organisation and company based magazines, leaflets and bulletins. Businesses use this site to get to know how many people are following their work in the field.
- SlideShare: A creation of Linked In, SlideShare is an excellent site for sharing and viewing expert slideshows onto the Windows and the Android OS. In this, experts from various sectors share their thoughts on particular cases through the use of slideshows. The user can access the site and its features after completing the registration setup.
- Pub HTML5: All kinds of published and printed materials can be viewed on this Pub HTML5. The user can tweak the appearance of the site with the help of the display setting, available on the site.
- FlipHTML5: The user can quickly make changes to the existing PDF file. One can turn the simple PDF document into a flipping book by using the display settings. Also, a user can add all kinds of extra effects like sound effects, video, and hyperlinks to the flip books.
- FlipBuilder: The FlipBuilder uses tools to convert the books in the archive into easily accessible flip books. Anything and everything, right from e-books and daily papers to the magazines and the yearly reports everything can be converted into flip books.
After several years of development, ISSUU has become user-friendly. The readers can access their services with the help of mobile applications and the online website.
ISSUU app for the iOS was introduced in the year 2014 and became available for Android as well later on. This allows all Apple users to get access to the books on their phones and their tablets. In addition to this, you get to use the app offline, that is, the person does not have to be online to access a list of titles from the app. The user can also choose to keep the books in a stack, one after the other. This way, you get to read the books in succession later when needed. Just like the website, ISSUU app can access all kinds of book titles that span a wide range of genres.
Apart from the app, if you wish to publish on ISSUU, all you have to do is to sign up for free at the site. After signing up, the printed matter that needs to be distributed and uploaded to the server. After the servers accept the publication, the title goes into circulation all around the world in a matter of few minutes.
Publications uploaded onto ISSUU:
ISSUU publication supports a broad range of publishers in distributing their work to the readers around the world. Due to this, you can ensure a growing reader base for the book and the company titles. Some very common types of publications that are currently being taken up by ISSUU include,
- Arts and Entertainment
- Travel and Hobbies
- Style and Fashion
- Family and Society
- Health and Fitness
- Sports and Vehicles
- Food and Drink
- Religion and Spirituality
- Science and Technology
- Home and Garden
Uploading and publishing on ISSUU- Benefits
First and foremost, Users prefer ISSUU, as you do not have to pay any fee for getting the publishing the titles. You probably would be paying for accessing the website as a whole, but publishing is free. Apart from this, there are several other reasons too that make it beneficial for a writer or publisher to upload the work and publish on ISSUU. These are some of the essential benefits that everyone who have already accessed the website, and the app has put forth: –
- The app and the site are easy to navigate on any device.
- You can share the printed matter after publication onto any social platform like Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus.
- Scales are available for the books to either zoom in or out of the system for clarity.
- Also, you can arrange Books and titles in a proper order to access later.
- The Pro version of ISSUU allows the user to have 15GB of storage.
- You can also print the matter available on the app and the website if need be. You can turn on the option for the same.
Preparing the documents before publishing on ISSUU
For someone looking to publish on ISSUU, he needs to ensure a few things before. Firstly, he needs to make sure that ISSUU accurately converts and publishes the documents. ISSUU carries out conversions too. Further, the website lists a set of requirements you have to follow, for publishing without any problem. These are the basic requirements that have been specified on the website that you need to do before uploading the document.
- The size of the document: This depends on upon the registration plan chosen by the user. They include a) Free and Legacy Pro Plan: 500 pgs. Per publication of 100 MB b) Legacy Plus Plan: 500 pgs. Per publication of 250 MB, c) Premium and Optimum Plan: 5000 pgs. Per publication 500 MB.
- Page spread: Uploading as a single page view will create a two page spread during conversion and 4-page spread if 2-page views are uploaded.
- File format: PDF, DOC, WordPerfect, PPT, Rich Text Format, Star Office, and Open Office.
- PDF supported versions: Versions 1.0-1.5. However, there is no guarantee for Users, which Versions above 1.5 will turn out to be good.
Apart from this, there are few simple precautions like,
- The document must open on a desktop reader without any problem
- The document should not be password protected
- Printing and copying access for the document must not be restricted
- Image resolutions have to be 150 dpi or below, and if it is above this limit, the image would have to be scaled
Uploading on ISSUU
The website provides step by step instructions you need to follow to publish on ISSUU. Most of all, you have to make sure that all the necessary editing work and the changes have been done to the book before uploading it onto the server.
- Sign up for an account or log into the existing account at ISSUU.
- After logging onto the site, the click on “Upload” option. For another way, you can just drag and drop the file onto the open ISSUU browser window. You can upload about 20 publications at a single time by using this method.
- After uploading the file, you have to give a name for the publication along with a short description and the original publishing date of the document. Before the final step, you can preview the entire document so that you get to know how the book appears to the readers. You can turn off or on the “Allow Download” control.
- To make the book available to the public or to keep it unlisted, you can choose an option from “Publication Visibility.”
- Under the Premium and Optimum Plan, you can move the publishing date to a different date.
- After making all the changes, click on the “Publish Now” icon, present in green colour at the bottom of the page.
Troubleshooting options for issues during publishing
After uploading the document into the server, the biggest problem of conversion starts. In this case, you need to look for pages that load slowly onto the PDF reader. Therefore, you may have to remove the complex pages and simplify the design.
While using Adobe Acrobat and in case there are problems with transparencies, conversion has to happen. Specifically, the complex pages to JPG and an OCR scan needs to happen. Links to the files must not have any line breaks or place next to non-link characters.
If there is a problem with the layout, it is advised to convert the file to PDF format and upload it. You can re-save the document if nothing works out, as this function checks the existing mistakes in the document.
In conclusion, being an efficient tool for publishing, people now find it easy to publish on ISSUU. You do not lose out much on the title as the publishing is free. Having a reader base that is expensive, ISSUU gives the publishers a chance to distribute their books to everyone around the world and helps in creating a name for them in the process. ISSUU is being considered to be the right platform for all the budding writers who are just at the very beginning of their career. With ISSUU to back you up as a writer, you can establish a name for yourself in the field within a short period.