Technology has advanced and so have file formats as we know them especially in the eBook area. eBooks are gaining recognition all over the world with more and more people opting for them so that they can be read quickly while on the go. It is also possible to convert a print book into an eBook especially in cases where you want to increase the audience of that particular book.
If you get a print book converted into an eBook by a professional, they may send the files to you after the conversion to give you a chance to see the book in the eBook form and to see if there are any changes that you would like to make.
Viewing the files on tablets and eReaders is a very easy thing, and some instructions can be followed to make the download into the gadget. Those who have a computer can also access the files but may have to make an extra download and install.
Opening the fixed layout of ePUB files on your Mac or PC
For those who have a Mac desktop or laptop which is relatively new, it may come installed with Apple iBooks. This means that you can open the ePUB files, the fixed and standard layout, very easy when you make the download. This way you will not be required to download any other additional software to access the ePUB files.
Using Readium on your computer
Readium is an add-on that you have to install in the web browser Google Chrome to view your ePUB files. Before you can use it, you should have Google Chrome installed. Google Chrome is not hard to install, and there are simple instructions that you can follow to get it on your computer.
Readium is an add-on that can be used to view the fixed layout ePUB files as well as the standard ones. Readium is not able to open any Mobi files. To be able to make use of Readium, it has to be downloaded and then added to Google Chrome. There are steps that you should follow to make the install successful.
These are the standard steps that can be used for many of the systems:
- The first part: Downloading and installing
- To start off, you will need to download Readium and then install it.
- You should launch Google Chrome and go to the app’s icon that is usually at the left corner at the top. You can also type chrome: //apps/ in the address bar.
- Choose the store icon
- Type Readium into the search box and then select return.
- Readium will then appear at the top of your search results. You can then chose the +FREE button and then click on Add to confirm your new app.
- When you follow the above steps, a new apps tab should appear, and now you will see a Readium logo. You should then click on it to start Readium.
- When it opens, you will get a prompt to add your ePUB file to the library.
Installation is completed now. When you need to use Readium, all you have to do is open Google Chrome and click the app’s icon at the top left of your screen and then choose Readium icon to continue.
The second part: Saving the file to your computer
- You need to download the file to your computer.
- The file usually comes with a .ePUB extension just after the name of the file.
- This file is normally sent via email as an attachment or where the file isn’t small enough; a Dropbox can be used to give a link for easy download.
There is a need to download the file via email attachments or a link from a dropbox which should be linked to your computer. It is critical that you know the location of the files that you download to the computer. Choose a folder that is very easy to find.
The third part: Opening the ePub file with Readium
- If you don’t already have Readium, you should use the steps above to launch the app.
- Within the app, choose “+” or Add to the Library button which is at the top right corner of the screen. When done, you will be prompted with a pop-up box, and here, you should select the ‘choose file’ button which comes first, and it is just next to the ‘from local file’ button. You should then locate the ePUB file as saved in step above and then click the open button.
- After following the above steps, a popup message indicates that your Readium has started importing files. The file import may take a few minutes, but this will greatly depend on the size of the file. When it is all done, the tool appears within the library, and you can click the book cover to open your book.
- To hide or show a table of contents, you can click on the icon situated at the screen top and then navigate through pages clicking arrows that are at the screen sides or using the arrow keys on your keyboard.
There are many times that you may find yourself stuck with and you may not know how exactly how to open it. Someone can email you the file, and you may have tried to open one in Windows to no avail. Before opening such a file, you need to know what kind it is by determining exactly what the .ePUB file extension refers to. The free publication structure of an eBook format is very popular, and it is readily available, and so many of the ePUB files come in the format.
Regardless of where the ePUB file originates from, you can use the steps above to open it conveniently.