Most of us these days, choose to read books in the online digital format. In multiple devices, say smartphones, tablets, laptops or PCs, we see to it that our reading habits don’t change. The ease of reading an eBook of a real title is always more engaging and rewarding. To get some useful eBooks, most users use eBook stores, which allow you to buy eBooks and get them on your device. One major portal that provides for such buying is Amazon Kindle store. This portal, owned by Amazon, hosts more than five million eBooks, and new ones are added each minute from across the world. Kindle, therefore, is your one-stop shop for eBook needs. You can quickly login to Kindle store (using your Amazon account), browse through genres and categories, and buy them within a few clicks. As simple as that.
Getting eBooks And Returning Them:
- While we are talking about returning books, we are pointing at a service that Amazon provides. This service, Rent A Textbook, helps students over their semesters, by providing reading materials to them.
- This special section, hosts thousands of course materials, in the form digital eBooks, which a user can Rent, and get directly to his or her device. Most of the books, are in the form of eBooks which you can easily read on a Kindle device or application.
- However, when you feel that, you may have to buy the book, you can easily do so by clicking on “Buy Now” option. This shows you the cart and lets you buy it. This way you don’t have to panic if you don’t find the subject material just before the exams. Kindle, after all, has the largest library of eBooks ever.
How To Rent Text eBooks From Amazon:
The process of renting an eBook is easy and very quick. First things first, you shall have to log in using your Amazon credentials. Then, search for the title that you require. Be careful in specifying the genre, the author or if the title is a series, the volume number. Once you see what you want, follow the below steps to rent the textbooks for a period:
- Click On Textbook Rentals portal within Amazon. This will take you to the portal, which hosts all the eBooks you may get for rent. Within various genres and categories, you will have to see that the books are of the latest edition.
- The important thing to know here is, when you select an eBook for reading on renting to your device, you shall have to take care of the due date. Beyond this, Amazon charges a different rate. So a user needs to be very careful in dealing with the deadline.
- Once you have gone through the terms and conditions, you just have to buy it. Click on the button, Rent Now, and instantly get the book into your device easily or have it booked for delivery. However, if you fail to see any Rent button, this is because it’s not for rent. You may have just to buy it at a regular rate. Either for Kindle or a Physical copy.
Rental TextBooks Rules And Guidelines:
Although, getting eBooks from Amazon, is a very easy rental process, there are still some things that you may have to consider. To help the users, in their buying and renting products, Amazon brings out a set of terms and conditions. As a user, you shall have to follow these rules to ensure a smoother flow of things:
- When you click on ‘Rent Now,’ you have a chance of receiving either a new book or a previously used book. This depends on the availability Amazon has for that particular title. However, most of these used books are taken in by Amazon in standard used condition. Thereby, if you do not find that the used book serves your purpose, you can always return it.
- With regards to including CD’s, Supplementary materials, which come along with the book usually, Amazon has a rule for it. Usually, Amazon sees to it that these things come along with the book taken on rent. However, it does not guarantee anything or everything.
- Most readers, especially those reading text materials, have a habit of marking it or highlighting points. However, as per Amazon rules, the users are advised not to do so. This is to make the books available and read-worthy for other customers too. However, if, after you are done reading it, Amazon finds that the books are not in a condition to take back, you will have to purchase it.
- On returning, Amazon will go through these pointers to accept the book – No water damage (wavy, swollen or discoloured, crinkled, stains, rings), No broken spine or binding, Cover is not torn or taped. Inside the book, missing, torn, or loose pages, No burns, fire, or smoke damage. No odor of any kind (including musty odor, cigar or cigarette odor), and No excessive writing or highlighting are present.
Pricing Structure For Renting A Book From Amazon:
Since, renting a book is not similar to any other services, the pricing for this difference. Therefore, rental prices may vary from time to time and seller to seller. The factors which come into play when you go for a book are as follows:
- Amazon has deals with multiple vendors across various states and regions. Now, when you come to the page which consists of your book, you may see the nearest seller’s quote price. However, you are free to choose other sellers as well, depending of course on the vendor ratings.
- Since Amazon is just the hosting website, you cannot expect it to control the pricing. Pricing majorly is a seller’s call. Also, some sellers look to stick to only one region to sell their books. These factors come into play when Amazon starts pricing its books.
- Also, beyond all these factors, are the state taxes, which sellers shall have to pay. Thus, while Amazon shows multiple options regarding the prices, the nearest seller is always a better option.
Different Payment Options For Renting:
Amazon takes in all forms of payments. It maintains these books in the same manner as any other product. However, over the years, most users are using Amazon Gift cards to do the same. This is a simple and quicker way of paying for the products. As Amazon provides for maintenance of gift cards, most regular Amazon Prime users usually pick up credit card balance. The full value of gift cards or credits is taken up by Amazon before the usual expiration date of 45 days. If you are looking to rent the book, an initial deposit needs to be paid, and keep a dedicated balance for the due payment.
Shipping Methods Of Renting Books:
- Standard rates for renting books apply and the natural shipping choices are given for these as well. As Amazon usually does, it offers a standard 3-5 business day, two-day, and one-day options. Amazon fulfils most of the orders which Amazon takes in. You shall get free shipping on orders which are above $35.
- The option of Amazon Prime is also applicable here. This means that you get the book you want for rent, within a period of two or three days. However in addition to this, if you are a student, you can enrol yourself to Amazon Student program.
- This provides you with exclusive discounts, free offers, and faster shipping options. Amazon will provide all these things via email so that you won’t miss out on anything.
- However, keep in mind, some sellers are not open to delivering the books to other states. In this scenario, you will not see a delivery option when you select a book. It is in this situation; you could use a Kindle version of the book.
- The Kindle title will have a standard pricing, and you can lend the book in few quick steps. Also, if you are a student from outside the United States, Alaska or Hawaii.
Returning Your Book To Amazon:
Now that you know how to go about renting a book from Amazon, you shall have to see how to return it. Since you have the book on a rental basis, it is important to return the book before the due date. The procedure for returning is very simple and won’t charge you for the return. The following are some pointers which you can follow to ensure a smooth Return:
- By renting the book, you indirectly agree to return it as per the rules and guidelines put out by Amazon.
- Amazon provides multiple Return Centres, which you can use to bring your book and return it simply. However, you can only use these centres, within 30 days of receiving your book. In case you are exceeding the total period of having the book, you can initiate the book return policy from your Amazon homepage.
- Once you cross the first 30 days of renting the book, you can still return the book through your account. The process is simple; you will have to visit the “Your Textbook Rentals.” Here, you will see the list of all the books that you have on rent.
- Select the book/books which you want to return. Once you have the books, click on the ‘Return Books.’ You will receive Return Shipping Label. This will help you in sending back the books for free.
- Package up the textbook(s) you wish to return, including the packing slip. Apply the return shipping label and return to the carrier on or before the due date. Return shipping is free when you use the shipping label you got previously.
- Amazon is not responsible for books which are lost in transit. Also, poor packaging will not help your cause, as you will have to pay fully for it eventually. The charge will be the cost of the book at the time of rental, less any rental fees and extension fees you have already paid) and of shipping costs of sending back you the book.
Renting Books Through WareHouse Deals:
Warehouse sales is a different wing of Amazon Online portal, which sells Open-box and used products on Amazon. They provide customers with a trusted source to buy open-box and pre-owned products at a discounted price. The Warehouse deals are of four types which help a customer in getting the best deal possible. If you are looking for the almost perfect condition, you can go for ‘Like New’ option in it. Other helpful categories that you can use are ‘Very Good,’ ‘Good’ and ‘Acceptable.’ These all category types offer you different discounts. Now, Ware House Deals have their set of rules and guidelines you have to follow:
- You are not supposed to move the textbook out of the state to which it was originally shipped. If you wish to move the textbook out of that state, you must first purchase the textbook.
- You can purchase the textbook by going to Your Textbook Rentals to view your rental library. Select the textbook you wish to purchase and then proceed through the checkout process.
- You may also contact us to buy the textbook. When you buy the textbook, we will charge you the buyout price of the textbook, and the textbook will be yours to keep.
- However, if Amazon determines that at any time during the rental period you have moved a textbook, the charges will be different. You have to keep the book in the same regional state, as sent to you by WareHouse Deals, Inc.
- Also, Amazon may opt to charge you the buyout price of the textbook. This allows for transferring the title to you, and you may have to pay for it. Also, you shall have to pay for the book basing on the price at which it was being sold for on the date which you moved the book out of your state. You practically own the book then.
- Hence, you are to return the book before you run out of the due date. On the failure to do so, you may have to pay for the book in total either at the rate, it was originally listed as, or on the date, you moved it out.
How To Get An Extension For The Time Limit:
- As with most academic books, you can never say when you can finish reading them. This is particularly the case when you undertake research which requires in-depth knowledge. Of course, you got the eBook on rent precisely for such academic purposes.
- However, more than finishing it, it is about how much you stand to derive as knowledge from the book. And this obviously requires a considerable amount of time.
- Sometimes, the time given by Amazon for you to finish the book may not be enough. Here, you can request for further 15 days as an extension.
- You will have no problem in getting that, assuming you have your credit card or debit card on Amazon’s list. Further, if you see that you are not in a position to complete it within the following fifteen days, you can purchase the book. Amazon will provide you with the rate of purchase. Thus, you can easily buy it.
Amazon’s Textbook Rent scheme is highly useful for anyone who is looking to lend a book. You can quickly search for a book, select it, and have it with you within two or three days. You don’t need to buy the book too. Amazon charges you just for the usage, much like a library and gives you a period of usage. As you approach the due date, you can also go for extending your due date by fifteen days. You may also choose to buy the book within the rental period, at the original price of the book. This way you know what the book is all about, and how it is useful to you, before actually buying it. For research students, scholars and academics, this rental scheme from world’s biggest bookstore, is a boon after all.