The book must be complete and final
The content to be submitted for formatting should be complete and final. The writer should go through the book to confirm that all the titles and subtitles of the book have been accurately covered and that none is left out. Complete content will help publishing services providers and their designers come up with a suitable format and design for the contents of a particular eBook.
- All the unusual symbols must be removed and replaced with regular characters: Unlike print books, eBooks do not support unusual symbols such as some math symbols. If there are any of such symbols in a book, they are to be replaced with regular characters since eBook readers do not support unusual symbols especially those not found in English. If the symbols must be in place, experienced publishing services providers must be consulted so as the give further directions on how the characters can be maintained.
- The book should have no double text boxes: If the book has any information in text boxes, the information should be cut and pasted from the text box to the main body of the book. This is because if the textbox is left in the book, it will be cut out together with the information in it during eBook formatting; this might lead to distortions in meaning and flow of the content.
- Tables, graphs, and charts should be converted to images: Some eBook readers do not clearly display tables, graphs, and charts. In order to maintain the visibility and readability of content in such form; it is advisable that they are converted to image forms. This is where ebook formatting comes into play.
- The book must be in one file and consistent: If the book is in separate files for different chapters, the writer should ensure it is finally placed in one file and that it is in a consistent form i.e. the chapters and titles should be consistent in their order. For example; one cannot move from chapter one and head to chapter seven, it portrays disorganization.
- Any underlines in place should be eliminated: If underlines had been used for emphasis, they should be eliminated and replaced with italics. Underlines are never used anywhere in eBooks during typesetting.
- Any bold in the body of the book is to be eliminated: Although bold is used for emphasis in the titles and subtitles of a book. They are not meant for the texts in the content of the body. If any has been used, a replacement with italics should be made, it will work better during the formatting stages.
- A final mono-spaced copy of the book should be proofread: Before submitting the book for formatting, the writer is to proofread a mono-spaced copy of the content or hire a professional proofreader to do it instead. Any of the above-mentioned errors will be detected if it has been committed.
We offer digital prepress and eBook publishing services
Are you a publishing firm or self-publisher in search of publishing services that are affordable and of good quality? Contact us and visit our offices for services such digital prepress, eBook formatting, and eBook conversion services for your different books.